Friday 1 August 2014

What's The Bottom Line with Orphan?


Orphan (2009)


Starring Vera Farmiga (The Conjuring and Source Code), Peter Sarsgaard (Jarhead and Green Lantern) and Isabelle Fuhrman (The Hunger Games and Hounddog) 


First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


I actually did some research into this film. I liked the cast! Vera Farmiga she is just amazing I loved her in Source Code which is why I put her name into the starring section. Peter Sarsgaard was really watchable in Green Lantern and overall he is quite a well known in the background actor. But, Isabelle Furman if you didn't see Hounddog you might not know who she is.....which excited me a little bit. Reason being, I like unknowns popping into Hollywood films. It surprised me she was in Hunger Games! I need to watch it again just to see who she played in this film. It's been a fair few years since I seen Hunger Games so need to watch again. But, overall I like my horror films and the caption "There's something wrong with Ester" that is a perfect caption whatever this film is about. The caption I think needs to support the film and start of the creepiness and disturbance of this film. But, look at the image below I MEAN how bad can she be!......


After I Watched The Film?


She's just being a caring sister and watching her sister....sleep

Maybe she takes the dance hammer time literally! 

Okay time to ring the babysitter or super nanny! I don't wanna play!
The best part, these images are NOTHING to compare to this film she is truly PSYCHO. I shouldn't really use that word but for this character it's quite relevant. We look into this character throughout the film and I am not saying ANY spoilers. One of my friends even said, oh I knew it was that. Am not being funny,you wouldn't think like that unless you looked at spoilers before hand. Let's take the plot (people who see this will know) and why she is so messed up or is she messed up? We see why but no one would guess it.....Am sorry it's because between 18 to 30 won't guess it right because of the story it's something completely different. However, in the 50s and 60s there were very similar films so people around that age might have some guesses.

Back, to the film. THIS FILM is truly a wonderful NEW horror. YES, NEW! It's nothing like I've seen before it's not a remake from anything it's from a book I THINK! Or was created by the studio writers. We have Ester! A newly adopted child to a loving family home and they all live happily ever after....yeah right! It's a HORROR not a Disney flick! The quality of how psychological disturbing this get is excellently executed. All the characters are involved! WHICH for a horror is important. We get through the dad, mum, Ester, the two children and even the Grandma! We understand everybody role and all questions answered.

One of the most awesome scenes in the whole film and for me the most creative.....I am gonna call it 'paintings' we know she paints and lets be honest there good for somebodies work. And, as we unfold we see more interesting paintings and more her paintings. SPOILER: Below is the video of the actual scene we discover this creativeness of Ester. Not really a spoiler, you have to see the film to understand these paintings.

 
The psychology of the film itself is just interesting and hypnotic. Ester we know is very intelligent throughout the film and she likes playing games. But, at the end of this blog going to see the trailer and maybe you can guess what's wrong with her! I think I like the film not only for the gore but it's actually realistic.....Yeah, I know "off course it's in done in present day!". Just hear me out, realistic to me is that the acting is believable and it can actually happen in this circumstance as the actors and directors are portraying it. Plus, it's keeping with good old fashioned horror films.....an isolated area (the house they live in), a interesting character to look at (Ester), a paranoid and upset character (Kate played by Vera Farmiga), the not understanding character (John played by Peter Sarsgaard), the fragile character (Aryana Engineer playing Max) and the outsiders we have a nun, a doctor of psychology and the Grandma. Three completely different roles but the...family has different approaches to all these characters.

Speaking of Aryana Engineer who's playing Max in the film is playing a deaf child. So, seeing that develop was REALLY interesting. We see Max and Ester have this weird connection that's just really awkward, disturbing but for a film viewer really stunning to watch. This is because, we want to help Max but at the same time were like "OHHHHH HECK NO!". And, you feel "I HOPE SHE DOESN'T" or "STAY AWAY FROM HER!". You'll understand when you see this film, it's really a great interesting and unique horror from that era because there's nothing like it in today's society. I haven't seen anything like it. My LAST thing on this, is that I like the fact they use the deaf aspect because in MOST films they just have that character and use there disabilities as a disadvantage I felt this film made it FAIR to watch and understandable.



Why Should I Watch Orphan?


Because of the image above Isabelle Fuhrman whom plays Ester is truly a remarkable young actress. This film for me, am not trying to over sell this film. BUT, ESTER....who is she? what does she want? I like her interviews only because you can tell once you see the film it's a COMPLETELY different person. It's not like Jack Black you don't know when he has stopped acting because he's generic. He can only play certain things. Whilst, Isabelle Fuhrman REALLY pushed out here. She mentions in the interview how 'fun' it was behind the scenes and it's odd she says she doesn't remember killing people or hurting people. My theory, which is okay theory I guess. As a true actor, we get into 'that place' that is so special when your on stage you feel those 1000s or few aren't there. I think that's what she did which what makes Ester real. Isabelle Fuhrman had this idea she just wanted love. I agree with her, she will always run into a problem and be the key problem. I think Ester should even have her own music like the Omen she is the modern psychopath like Hannabl Lecter! But child form haha. Below is some interviews from the star talking about Ester and more.

(Here is an interview with Isabelle Fuhrman if you can't access the video do not despair here is the link! :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuxX53goRKw)

This clip is from a year ago before the clip above, nice to compare. If' you can't watch here is the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVmyHnkWUc

The early interview explains how she got into the audition and the set mind which is interesting. She mentions 'The Good Son' with off course the Home Alone star Macaulay Culkin and he is just creepy in that film, no disturbing because he was the same or similar age as he was in Home Alone. So, watch Home Alone then The Good Son....You'll just think....well I don't want to watch Home Alone now! haha. But, I could see she took some characteristics from this film and added some of her own and the fact she did sign language, played the piano and paint all of her own work. There wasn't anyone else doing it just her which makes this film really interesting to watch it's not like someone else doing it it's all Ester.


Why am I going over the top with Ester? Right, I LOVE my messed up psychos. They aren't your stereotypical am wearing a ski mask and gonna rob a bank! NO, it's something intelligent and creative. I love that in films, taking a killer and turning it into something you don't expect. It's like the whole Simpsons episode "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" That was shocking, I think it was rated one of the top 10 most shocking animated episodes in history! I think that's why I LOVE this film. Ester does everything and you can see that, her acting, her knowledge and research you can see in this one film. It's been very carefully written as well so all of the story literally answers itself  but not spoon fed which is another reason why I liked this film.


So, What's The Bottom Line?


If you like your horrors, psychological or not you will like this unique film. And, yes I used unique because considering what we have now it's truly a horror masterpiece. That's the bottom line.

Tips If Watching The Film?


  1. Am using this image above, because AT ONE POINT. I actually fell for this act. I knew from the start something was wrong with her but I felt sorry for her and thought "aww she ain't so bad!" So, don't fall for it. 
  2. Love what one interview said, lock the door and put a chair against it. Am gonna add to that, watch it alone with no one or do it about three hours before you babysit......yeah. 
  3. You know what if you enjoy Horror films my last tip you'll enjoy it. I know most my friends like it, and saying that really shows it should be a great horror film. 

My Rankings


Do I REALLY need to say it? 10 out of 10. I can't go lower IMDB rated it a lovely 7. I mean, I can see why some people won't like it. But, I just do. I can't say "Oh, could of done that better" I ACTUALLY can't which I usually can with some films. But, this was a 10 out of 10 film and considering they didn't use a high up actor is a bonus.


Here is the trailer for Orphan, Enjoy!


And here is the IMDB page if you want to know more about the film, with trivia and goofs: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1148204/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

No comments:

Post a Comment