Wednesday 20 August 2014

What's The Bottom Line With Modelling OR Photographers?

Models or Photographers?

Introduction

This blog is about looking at some individual models and there photographs and I will be discussing what I see in the photo and judging them even myself and explaining in my opinion why they do it. But, during this blog near the end there will be a shocking discovery that only two of these people I will be mentioning do modelling. While the rest, either did it for a favour, for themselves, for other work etc. But, this is about looking at the photographs and thinking was it the model or the photographer that really made the picture OR is it abit of both? PLUS, I would like to take this chance to thank every-ones permission for featuring in this blog for me has been an exciting blog to write about each one of you unique models.

Miss Lee

 When we first have a glance at Miss Lee we can see she is quite comfortable in the pictures which is always something to think about when you do modelling. You have to be comfortable in front of a camera clearly. Plus, when you have a look at the photographs we can see that the lighting is good and that the model is paying attention to the taker (photographer). I like the way of the black and white effects and the original colour from the photographs as well it shows a different dimension with photography that some models stay away from. Plus, when we think of models and photography they always have that other layer that we don't consider. For example, Miss Lee here uses different types of modelling shots and poses and to contrast with different effects done to the pictures. I like Miss Lee's pictures not because there nude! BUT, it tells a story. Look at all the images, we could say that one is basically about a sexy cleaning home maker BUT we could say that image is about how the power of being that home maker is. Like if your job is being a mom, we can see through house work yes its a struggle but also you have power in that element which could be demonstrated in that picture. The facial expressions as well that Miss Lee uses are all slightly different but it tells a different story, yes she does nude and lingerie modelling however she uses that appealing attraction that most people look at and turns it into a very appealing and yet descriptive image. The saying a picture is worth a 1000 words... in this case a picture could be a billion words to another. Plus, we see art in some of the pictures like the one I was describing of tattoos. Some models don't have tattoos for this reason. However, I believe Miss Lee is showing that individuality that we can have if you wish to follow modelling. We, also see below a captain "BITCH, I'M DA BOSS". So, we could say that Miss Lee is demonstration the sexual appeal of female genders both the stereotypical side but also the more modern appraoch to females as well. We do to this day, have females that still do the housework and having the lingerie is clearly what we see women in. BUT, that image below of "BITCH, I'M DA BOSS" could show us that women don't just do that, they have careers, jobs, goals and expectations and hope as well. Not saying, women aren't like men but let's be honest I won't suit Lingerie unless it's Rocky Horror! Miss Lee, showing different dimensions of women in photography is a great approach for women that want to achieve this kind of image. 

A word from Miss Lee "I love being model it shows people that young mums in all different shapes and sizes can do anything they want to in life and were all beautiful in our own way nobody perfect nobody got the perfect body shape or curves nobody and I love the way I pose and etc. it shows people I'm me and I love who I am and they accept me for who I am or they don't talk to me at all I do modelling to show people I'm proud to be called me I'm proud of my body after having kids I'm proud of my tiger marks a woman earn't her tiger stripes and should be very very proud of it cos I can tell you I am very proud of who I am I'm not perfect but nobody is and I'm not all innocent either but I love being me and I ain't gonna change for nobody this is who I am like it or lump it but this is ME and every picture I do means something to me shows my mood swings my face actions impressions etc I love my job I would never ever give it up for nobody even if they begged me or paid me I wouldn't this is my career and my life and future and I love it xx"

Powerful words, from a powerful mum. Please think when you look at photographs of women in lingerie, they do it for these reasons but above all they love it and don't judge or throw out abuse because clearly Miss Lee is doing this for her life, career and her future and all for the right reasons. 


 


Savanah 'Spoony' Rides 


 This is a newish friend of mine, she is lovely! She is like one of those women that is free spirited with an unbelievable attitude about her. But, look at the photos she's in. I mean just look! It's stylish, it's sexy, the difference between the two are remarkable. Savanah is like what I call a "Spoon" girl she loves spoons. If you ever meet her and say do you love spoons. She'll probably most likely jump up and down and say "Hell yah!". But, these photos are different to Miss Lee because there's a sense of upper class simple about it. The simple poses are very lovely, the effects (look I love picture effects! because I just love what you can do with photos) are just remarkable. The fact, I know this girl and I seen her in university and we do go out and talk and play 'German'!. But, looking at theses pictures to me isn't the girl I know. So, it's remarkable because to me. These pictures are like a character that I don't know about Savanah. I ain't saying me and Savanah know each other inside and out. But, this element of Savanah I don't know about. It's very gentle I think these pictures, it has the impression of wanting more to see this classiness and it would be interesting seeing Spoony (Savanah) in a different light that I know her, truly some alcohol related BUT STILL!. Plus, the three pictures below is how I know her so my waffling is about how pictures can portray a different persona. The three below is how I know Spoony, and they are simple and quite nice as well. The middle one uses simple lighting effects and the little smile showing the sign of many things like happiness, playfulness and the contrast of the hair colours makes the picture heightened a little. But, I purposely used the two next to her because we see how eye shadow make-up can actually make a picture look more, not disturbing! but unusual to see. Because, when we see the middle one and compare them to the two separate ones so Red VS. Blue we can see the plainness in the red but the mysterious feel whilst the middle one (the blue one) shows us more characteristics within the picture.  


Heidi  McGreary


This girl right here, surprises me. She is one of the kindest person I have ever met which is from Liverpool. I have lots of Liverpool friends and this one is one you can approach. But, these photographs to me are absolutely spot on and the thing that annoys me is that she isn't a model because of how tough the industry is. Which is fair enough, but when you look at the photographs. We see great use of shading, a great use of a plain background being used so the colours of the outfit does't clash. Plus, we have three completely different outfits which balances this portfolio, we have a sexy slim swimming costume which works brilliantly well with the background and the use of lighting from this professional photographer was brilliantly used.

Then, we have a very hot diner outfit I would say even a clubbing outfit for a top notch club. The use of the pose is simple it's not over dramatic or no pouting which I like. Plus, notice the smile it's a simple smile it's not like The Batman Joker smile it's a crisp clean Hollywood smile. And then, we have the bikini outfit. Which balances out the portfolio of there being a swimming outfit, dinner and bikini it's what model agencies like to see seeing a different kind of variations of poses, outfits and seeing if they work. Plus, you notice more of the eye rings in the bottom picture as well jewellery which to me compliments the photograph because of how we see those Supermodels or Actresses when wearing bikinis wearing those ear rings or necklaces so it's in Fashion....who says? The famous people wearing them. That's how fashion personally works, when we see a Actor, Singer, Actress, Supermodel wearing something we think it's in season. But, I have to say now because it's one of the shocking discovery that Heidi isn't a model. Which I hope she's reading this, please keep going with it. The images are great quality and try doing different ones if you want to give it a go.

Some words from Heidi McGreary:

"I loved doing the shoot, gave me a little bit of experience and made me feel fab. Especially, when the photographer released the photographs and everyone was commenting on them... It is hard to break into the industry though to do it properly with all the big agency's, it takes a lot of time, patience, and a good portfolio which costs a lot of money.. Which I didn't have at the time when I needed it to build my professional portfolio.. But I would love to give it another go when I've got more time on my hands and more experience xx sorry if it don't make sense lol xx"

I think it makes perfect sense. To do shoots and to get a professional photographer you do need money. So, what I say directly to Heidi is that.....we will be looking in seeing you in the future and don't stop what your doing either.


Kirsty Whitelegg


I have known Kirsty ever since I was like 5, we don't talk much now but since of Facebook it's been a real honour really seeing what she has been up to. I like Kirsty's photos because they tell a story, ever image says something completely different to the other one. The first two, personally show a romance because of how the lighting works and how it draws out on Kirtsy's red outfit in the first one and then in the second one it seems distance, she looks distant/ Which as a viewer looking at these two pictures they look like two completely different characters which is what I like to see in pictures. But, she has really shined in her portfolio, the first picture showing it's more in the past history attire but still recent and the scenery really draws us in into a picture. Then, the second one is modern time period because of the outfit and then the scenery surrounding her shows us a more isolated, dark or maybe shy and thinking image.
 Then, the one on your left we see her in lingerie which shows that she is putting herself out there and same with actors, film makers, designers etc, we are pushing our goals and she seems confident doing that as well.

 BUT, the ones I wanna talk about is the three images below. The water photograph is just so creative and stunning, we have to see the photographer and model working in sync for an image like this. It's so chaotic, simple, stunning, beautiful it tells a story. Personally, considering the dress attire, the scenery and the hair being so crazy back shall we say this tells me about a girl that drowned herself maybe and shows that she wanted to be free that badly. BUT, that's my take on this picture, as I said before a picture is worth a thousand words. But, a picture could mean different stories to different people.

Let's look at the final two at the bottom, which to me shows a completely side of Kirsty I haven't seen. The first one with the reflection in the water could be showing us a simple, interesting and above all peaceful shot. To me, it shows a girl day dreaming as if in Alice in Wonderland and playing and experimenting and above all learning. That's all from just one picture and am not done. The second picture, with the wall surrounding her, a beautiful black dress and she is resting her arm on her other arm could show abuse. She seems trapped, and I love the steps as well, to me shows she could escape when ever she wanted to but she can't and you can see that in the model (Kirsty). We see so many sides of Kirsty, and I don't think she's going to stop the shots are quite modern, but above all it's making us think about the image and not just say "Ooo that's nice".


Claire Doyle


You know what annoys me about this girl! She is the most funniest person I met at university and the most craziest! And yet, seeing these photographs today she isn't a model!. Take a step back and think why she thought that but I HAVE NO IDEA. But, lets examine. The first picture we see a very, pouty, absurd and very mysterious creature! I believe it was suppose to be a deadly sin for Alice Cardiff's dissertation but I will say she got it spot on. She looks mysterious, she looks unusual because we don't know what she is or how she comes across to us. We see the outfit being quite sexual and erotic so that should balance out the character and it did. The second one on the right, shows us a more playful, frustrated, sexual, erotic and even seductive character from just one shoot boom we have a new character a more revealing character. So, Claire your reading this give it ago haha. The plain white background is what this picture needed because it shows we are just looking at Claire's character and nothing more, we are looking and trying to understand her as much as possible. BUT, let's look at the two images below and have a completely different take of her. 

I like these two images below for lots of reasons. First one, look at them both, they tell a different story, a different background and a different person. The first one on the left shows to me suffering, being alone, murder, death, hatred, scarring, emotional distortion. But, above all if you look at her face....it shows hope. Which for a photographer whom took this was really good at capturing the hope of this image. Clearly, it has something to do with the body and it also shows us how torn and alienated maybe we can become in some situations. Whilst, the one on the right shows us a traveller, a believer, a romantic kind of person. The suitness of just a head shot has told us more about her character then revealing her whole body, which is nice because for models sometimes it doesn't have to be full body it can be hand modelling, face modelling, mouth modelling, can be anything visual really photography but not modelling. Modelling has to be a physical being taken place. 

A few words from Claire Doyle:

"so ... my experience with modelling for performance art and costume has been very close to my heart. i feel like modelling not only captures a moment in time but also captures an ongoing performance, keeping a performance existing and durational"

Couldn't put it simpler myself about modelling.




Edward Richards



This shot (on the right) was taken a few years ago, I like it, and it looks like your ordinary photo main reason am writing about myself is to show am being supportive and the fact if these lovely people will let me write about them. Well, why not myself? But, looking at the first picture my stance is all wrong, the hair is in the way of my classes, the outfit is semi-wrong. But, I do like the use of the cross shows some form of religious background (which is true) in the red background shows love but also can show some hatred between religion.

However, the one on the left is more fun. It's my clown. It's a sad clown which you can see in the picture. Yes, I know that's a huge tie and clothes don't match! BUT, look it shows sadness which I discovered not just going to university but before then. That comedy does have sad moments but we also need to remember the happy moments. I like the use of lighting and it's a shame you didn't see the window. To me, the clown is looking for hope, looking for adventure and looking for someone. That's me however haha.

Shocking Discovery!

The only models are Kirsty Whitelegg and Miss Lee...just think about that! If Savanah, Heidi or Claire are reading this please keep trying because the photographs you have presented to Facebook and maybe others are worth ago at professionally. I know it's tough and it's probably what you defo don't wanna do but consider it because all the photographs I have seen today have been top notch quality. Maybe not mine! But, they were taken professionally and I know I don't wanna be a model just don't go there haha. But, I am glad to hear that Heidi will be returning to modelling once she is ready.

What's The Bottom Line? What Makes The Photo.....Models or Photographers?

If your reading this and your unsure at this point. Think about it. It's both. The model has to understand what the photo wants before taking the picture and we have to understand why are they taking the picture and what does the image mean. The model, has to know what positions, poses, facial expressions, knowledge even of what the photographer wants. And, the photographer must know what kind of photo the photo will be and what kind of scenery, costumes, themes etc need to be in the pictures. So, it's both and the pictures I have presented to you (the public) have to understand that with models and photographers there has to be some form of understanding from both parties and understanding of themselves too and that's the bottom line. Both are important and both are equal in this job.



Find the models fan pages or websites here;

Kirsty Whitelegg - http://purpleport.com/portfolio/kirstywhitelegg/?referrer=kirstywhitelegg
Miss Lee - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1441094546150818/
Claire Doyle - http://claireccdoyle.wix.com/clairedoyledesign

Follow the Facebook Group of THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE here -https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment