Monday 11 August 2014

What's The Bottom Line With V For Vendetta?


V For Vendetta (2005)



Starring Natalie Portamn (Black Swan and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith), Hugo Weaving (The Matrix and Lord of the Rings) and Rupert Graves (Death at a Funeral and The Madness of King George)


First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


It's quite strange where I heard this film from, I was in my English class in college and my English teacher mentioned this film "V for Vendetta". And, none of us had heard of this film... So, he put on one of the most iconic scenes which was when he was fighting like 20 policeman with guns and he just had these knives. So,I was really intruged by who this character is and what on Earth was he doing! I did a little research into the film before putting it on. I know that V for Vendetta was from the Marvel Studios so I have in my head a very superhero can of feel to the film. The cast looked fantastic, as you know Natalie Portman is quite well known for her performance in the Black Swan and also Thor (another Marvel studios) and her acting is just spot on. Then, Hugo Weaving whom plays Agent Smith in the Matrix trilogies is just brilliant his acting always surprises me even in the Captain America film he surprised me. But, we also have Stephen Fry and John Hurt who play excellent characters as well in the film. John Hurt playing the high chancellor whom is basically the head of government and then you have Stephen Fry a witty TV comedy presenter. It all sounded very interesting so I thought to myself.....Should I watch it? Shouldn't I watch it? Hmm

After I Watched The Film?


"Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot"

The first line in the whole film. I am hooked. I am going to say that once this film was finished I was very happy with the way it finished. I love all the characters, the acting was brilliant and I think I like this film as one of my favourite political action and drama film is because it felt realistic Technically, this film could actually become real... which scared me at times but I have to kept remembering it was a film. But, the main thing I REALLY enjoyed in this film is 'V' the character 'V'. Who is he? It's not really a spoiler but we never really see whom 'V' is... which is a great way to create this masked villain or masked hero. The storyline was actually really well constructed and this is even a book turned into a film. I like the costume for 'V' too, it's very Mask of Zorro but then the mask portrays Guy Fawkes for justice and righteousness. But, would he find trouble with a so corrupted and stern political government? I shall say, if he didn't it would be a very dull movie!. Plus, I like how we go through this film and how we experience certain characters experiences of what can happen and how they can change throughout the film. 


"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."


Also, when we see this 'V' for this first time we are unsure how we feel because of the Mask. Personally, I felt that the mask put on this persona of this unique shall we say 'figure'. I have put quotations within this blog and not the major ones because it feels like a treat when you watch the film. However, 'V' is highly intelligent, witty and he is human..... which when I was watching this film I did feel that he wasn't human. He was doing things that people want to do or think to do. We see it today, he is standing for what he believes wrong within the government and speaking out to the people. True, some people in today's society do it the wrong way to get there point across. But, 'V' does in a way that makes it sound justice and right for the people and what they want to hear and believe. Also, we do see that conflicts within the characters and relationships between characters and plots and conspiracies. If am honest, this film has a bit of everything in there we have drama, conspiracies, disasters, comedy, heart warming scenes, realistic scenes, psychological scenes and we see it all in this feature length film. Yes, it's a political films (and truth be told am not one with political films) but this film makes it sound more interesting within politics and with 'V' truly makes it a film worth watching.

Should They Do A Re-Make or Sequel? 


I doubt they would. Only because, the ending of the film it's the end. No more curtains. IF they do a remake it won't be anywhere near the quality of this film. All the actors in this film should of got a clap, just because I can't flaw anybody in this film. The scenes were flawless, the action was intense, the drama was real. Nothing on this planet for me can make this film make it sound bad. It was a great film to watch. Maybe, one day Marvel will do something similar like this film. But, I doubt they will do a remake... It's just something I feel strongly about. Plus, doing some more research they are comics on V for Vendetta which I might get one and read and see what they are like.


So, What's The Bottom Line?


If you like political, drama, action, unusual villains and heroes and you just like the What If films like myself. Then, this film should be watched even if you don't like Marvel it's not like a Batman and Robin film! It's truly a remarkable film to watch and that's the bottom line.


Tips If Watching The Film?



  1. Just remember that V is human. I know that sounds weird but Hugo Weaving really made V into this untouchable entity I believe that really made us think, how can he do this?
  2. I have read the book as well, and they do have some slight changes but still a good read if you enjoyed the film. 

My Rankings


FINALLY, IMDB users agree that this deserves an 8 but I give it a 10 out of 10. It's flawless I can't see a problem with it. UNLESS, you go for the historical factors for Guy Fawkes then fair enough. But, I watched this film for the film and not for the historical facts.


Here is the trailer
(If your having trouble viewing the video, it's on YouTube)

Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

No comments:

Post a Comment