Saturday 25 October 2014

What's The Bottom Line on Van Helsing?

Van Helsing (2004)


Starring Hugh Jackman (X-Men and Les Miserables), Kate Beckinsale (Underworld and The Aviator) and Richard Roxburgh (Moulin Rouge and Mission: Impossible II)


First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


Witnessing the trailer when it was originally coming out, I was extremely excited. From the trailer you see, Mr Hyde/Dr. Jekyll, Dracula, Frankenstein and even Werewolves! This film had EVERYTHING a horror fan wanted. It was all about the myths and legends of these creatures but I was generally excited. Plus, you have Hugh Jackman who at this time was incredibly famous playing Wolverine in the X-Men films and still is playing Wolverine. So, Hugh Jackman since Van Helsing was coming out around the time of X-Men 2! Hugh Jackman has played Wolverine for more than 10 years! But, back to vampires. I was curious at the special effects, where ALL these creatures come into play. I was curious about the story line but I did know about Van Helsing from past films like Bram Stoker's Dracula. So, I was just generally excited because it's a film I am quite interested in learning about and seeing what plays out.

After I Watched The Film?


The special effects were incredibly, the story itself isn't too complicated but it keeps you on your toes. Dracula's personality was brilliant and the fact that he carries himself. I notice playing Dracula can go numerous ways and I like this version because it shows the more humanity of the Dracula side and the intelligence side as well. Plus, Hugh Jackman's "team" is incredibly, you got a sexy strong woman, a funny monk, the iconic Frankenstein....I mean what more do you want in a team? Just throw in the invisible man. I love the villain Dracula and his followers I just felt I wanted to see more of Igor, the actual Dracula himself and not more his history. I did love the fighting scenes, the Werewolf was a nice surprise since seeing the trailer it was expecting but you forget about it when watching. I think the costumes, make up and special effects are more than you expect really. I mean Frankenstein is my favourite costume and make up EVER, I prefer this Frankenstein then the one in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I have to say I just generally like the feel of the film because there are the odd flaws but I enjoyed watching this film because it shows Hugh Jackman in a new light, shows a new way to show Frankenstein, Dracula and other creatures. It was quite creative when it first came out hatching together all these different characters, stories, costumes and backgrounds. 


Why Is Van Helsing A Film To See?


Well, the main reason I think you should watch this film is see Hugh Jackman in a different light and all you're beloved creatures and monsters of the night. From Frankenstein, Werewolves, Vampires (that don't sparkle!), Mr. Hyde, Monks, Van Helsing its a general great mythical film to watch if you love you're horror legends. But, I think another reason that you should think about is that you won't see all these creatures under one roof again.....Think about it. Yes, there's Hotel Transylvania but that's not a horror film! That's for kids. The next film I could think of comparing this too with similar creatures.....there isn't. I have not seen a horror film where Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, Werewolves, Vampires, Dracula have met all in one film....That's CRAZY! And, yet for a horror fan....WELL, it's not really a horror film which makes it funny. It's more action and adventure, so I would compare this to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and maybe Hellboy but that's the line really. Van Helsing is visually stunning, creative and quite interesting to watch in general. It's not all violence violence, crossbows firing and gun shooting! It's actually quite a drama, romance feel as well so could appeal to more than the blood thrusting action packed people.

Could There Be Another Van Helsing?


You'll know in the facts why this will NEVER happen. But, I am keeping an open mind and being optimistic because I feel if they did a reboot, I would rather see it in a TV Series. I think it will be like Grimm, but would love to add that element of Arrow and Agents of Shield in there. Simply because, Van Helsing can go against all forms of creatures really, from demons, witches, aliens, Frankenstein, sleep walkers, Dracula again, the Devil himself, the Omen, Ghosts, Ghouls, Gremlins.... I mean there's sooo much you could do with Van Helsing's character! You could even have him fight off land as well.....Moby Dick? The Kraken? Merdusa? Zeus? Hercules? I mean the possibilities are endless, could make friends along the way as well! We could see people in the similar line of him like Vampire Hunters, Ghost Hunters, Priest, Wizards, Warlocks. This could potentially be the next Charmed in some sense! And, we know it could work as a TV Series as well. Have that secret hang out, Frankenstein's lair, Van Helsings cave, the Monk's have a secret underground lair in the church....could literally go on and go. 

Facts About This Film?

  1. Stephen Sommers deliberately chose to avoid the style of transformations from other werewolf films, where the character would usually grow hair as part of the change. Instead the decision was made to have the character rip his skin off to reveal the werewolf form underneath, going with the idea that the beast "comes from within".
  2. The place where Van Helsing and Anna fight Dracula's three wives is the same place where they filmed Frankenstein (1931)Dracula (1931) and The Wolf Man (1941). The place is call the Court of Miracles and this place is also found at the studio tour at Universal Studios Hollywood.
  3. During filming, Hugh Jackman accidentally broke an extra's hand
  4. According to Elena Anaya, on her first day she was told that somebody would give her a cue to say her lines. That somebody turned out to be none other than Hugh Jackman at 5:30 in the morning.
  5. Dr. Frankenstein's lab was equipped with antique medical equipment purchased on eBay.
  6. Kate Beckinsale was the last to be cast.
  7. Dracula's diminutive henchmen, the Dwerger, are actually dwarfs from Germanic folklore.
  8. Kate Beckinsale has stated in interviews that she hated the corset she had to wear for the majority of the film and remarked that, when filming wrapped, she wanted "to burn it all".
  9. Was intended to kick off a series of "Van Helsing" adventure movies; however, reviews were bad and the box office returns were far below expectations, so all plans for a sequel were dropped within days of the film opening.
  10. Dracula only kills one person in the film

My Rankings


I personally love seeing characters coming together, especially ones I love! That's why I love cross over spin off stuff like Arrow, Flash, Agents of Shield, you don't know what to expect. But, I would give this a very VERY respectable 8 out of 10. It's not the max because I feel they put too much together and some characters lost there character profile along the way I feel. But, I would still say that this is highly recommend for people that are into these kind of mythical legends with a great storyline. 


So, What's The Bottom Line?


If you ever wondered who's that guy that saves you from the bites of the night, well here he is....WOLVERINE! Wait, no Van Helsing! See him in action without his metal claws up against probably the most evil creature in the known universe....Dracula. Who will win? It's more than watchable I feel so give it a go and that's the bottom line.


Here is the trailer:

Here is the IMDB pagehttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338526/

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group, Just Click On The Link Below: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment