Wednesday 29 October 2014

What's The Bottom Line special Warmth Wednesday presents It's Kind of a Funny Story

presents

It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010)


Starring Keir Gilchrist (United States of Tara and Dead Silence), Zach Galifianakis (The Hungover and Due Date) and Emma Roberts (We're The Millers and Wild Child)


Introduction


For Warmth Wednesdays I decided to do a drama that is really underrated, it didn't came to our cinema screens, it went straight to the DVD box for one pound. But, honestly what I have to say about this film, you'll want to watch it. There's nothing like this romantic, comical drama today, alone it's quite unique and have some quirky moments. So, let's start with first impressions. 


First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


I have to admit that I had low expectations about this film. It just looked unusual strange, and I did read the description because it was on Sky Movies at the time. Basically, a depressed suicidal boy discovers more than himself when he goes to a clinic.....That made me think, this could either be a great drama or a really stereotypical way of how we portray people in society. But, I did look briefly at the cast on the description, you got Emma Roberts who I love in most of her films because I have't seen her do a bad film. Then, off course you have the Hungover star Zach Galifianakis I thought he would be a doctor or one of the patients. You can't really expand on characters when the storyline is quite basic. So, am guessing that Emma Roberts and Keir Gilchrist character's fall for each other as well.

After I Watched The Film?


I have to admit that I was surprised by the execution and the drama that was spot on in this film. It's love in it's most simplest forms and you see the transition as well. You see the depression, you see anxiety, you see excitement, you see curiosity. You see all these huge amounts of emotions played beautifully in a rom-com drama film. I say a rom-com because that's what it is really to me. There was some really nice sad moments, and just bursts of laughters. It's like a roller coaster you feel for these characters, because you can relate to nearly all of them in one moment or another. I have to admit Zach Galifianakis performance really surprised me. I didn't see Hungover star Zach Galifianakis, I saw a completely different side of Zach Galifianakis performance which was refreshing to witness. Emma Roberts because I first saw her in a film called "Wild Child" this was a completely different balance from her. She did have similar traits but it was a completely different character to witness. I actually quite enjoyed the simply portraits in films, I like the basic set, basic outfits. I don't want to see a kid turn into a superhero, I like them films. But, it's refreshing and nice just seeing a modern, realistic, comical and heart warming performance from a simple yet extremely watch-able film. 

Why Should You Watch This Film?


I am really surprised that this is such an underrated film, I don't know many people that have seen this film and if you love the Notebook, P.S I Love You, You Got Mail. I think you would appreciate the simplest form of love and comedy in a nice little film. Plus, the characters transition from being strangers to friends is incredible like people have that click connection and you can see that in this film which is nice. And, I think it's a good thing it's underrated because then you can actually have a conversation recommending a film someone might not have seen. And, plus it's from a book this film like Fault in our Stars, it's similar to that, but this is more comedy than romance I would have to admit. It's a very cute film and I even know blokes that said it's a good film and they were rugby players. So, just saying anyone can really watch this.

Facts About This Film

  1. On the rooftop Noelle says that she likes the Pixies. Earlier, when she was mad at him and he was outside her door, an instrumental piano version of the Pixies song 'Where Is My Mind' is playing.
  2. Shot over a period of six weeks.
  3. In the scene where Craig describes other classmates of his, when it shows him you can see he's reading the book 'Be More Chill' by Ned Vizzini, who also wrote 'It's Kind of a Funny Story'.
  4. Paramount and MTV Films acquired the rights to the novel in May 2006. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck were hired to adapt the screenplay with a view to direct after. After a while, Paramount changed their mind and put the production into turnaround. Focus Features then stepped in to acquire the property, keeping Boden and Fleck on throughout.
  5. GOOF SHOT - When Bobby and Craig are in the gym after playing basketball, Bobby is laying down on the floor. Bobby's shirt is covering and then is not covering the bottom of his stomach with each alternating shot.
  6. Some of the psychiatric patients in the hospital are wearing sweatshirts with drawstrings. Mental health facilities would not allow patients to have these. The staff took away Craig's belt and shoelaces, so they likely would not have allowed drawstrings in the hospital.
  7. When Craig uses the pay phone for second time to call his best friend for ordering Egyptian music, he didn't insert any coins in it. In the earlier scenes, they clearly shows the coins sound while one of the patient gets off the phone.


My Rankings


I am happy because IMDB users have seen this film, and ranked it quite a high 7.2. I would agree by giving it a 7 because it's highly watch-able, it's one of my favourite drama, romantic, comedies to date. There's just something about it that makes it watch-able and recognizable at the same time. So, am giving it a 7 out of 10. Highly recommended film. 

So, What's The Bottom Line?


I think the bottom line here is that if you are down in the dumps, feeling down, just plain out miserable this film will make you feel better because it's generally a feel good film which is what we may need.

Here is the trailer:

Here is the IMDB pagehttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804497/

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group, Just Click On The Link Below: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment