Monday 3 November 2014

What's The Bottom Line special Throwback Thursday presents The Exorcist


presents

The Exorcist (1973)


Starring Ellen Burstyn (The Wicker Man and The Fountain), Max von Sydow (Minority Report and Shutter Island) and Linda Blair (The Exorcist II: The Heretic and Repossessed)


Introduction


Since Halloween is literally two days away, I think it's important we look at probably one of the most iconic horror films for Throwback Thursday and I think it goes to The Exorcist. Think 1973, this alone is still quite a unique film, we have lots of possessed films from The Conjuring, The Possession, and Paranormal Activity having that elements of ghosts and paranormal mumble jumble. But, this I personally think is where it all started. The head spinning, swearing, deranged demon inside an innocent child, the film captured the souls of many and this is why it deserves to be in this weeks Throwback Thursday, people I am proud to introduce The Exorcist.


First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


I have to say that my first impressions were actually quite low. I knew absolutely nothing about this film, and I remember it being one of my first actual horror films. I was at a time of watching Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Hellraiser. I thought try the classic horror films before I start watching the more newer horror films. So, along that journey of classic horror films The Exorcist was actually one of those films. I think all I knew was something about a demon but didn't know to some extent at what could happen. I knew that Scary Movie 3 or Scary Movie 2 did a spoof of the film. But, in all seriousness being a horror fan this is still one of my favourite classic horror films because if you think about it 1973 this could of been classed as a huge risk to show people. I knew Ellen Burstyn from Wicker Man and she played quite a dark character in that film so I had some form of expectations. But, since it was a classic I didn't want to go to deep into the film history so I be surprised.


After I Watched The Film?


I have to admit that this is stunning. The special effects back then were quite risky and new especially with the spinning of the head bit in the film. The make up as well for the demon coming out were spot on I think and even if you brought this film out now I think it would still have a great box office, but since horror has risen since the Exorcist we can expect that some people won't find it that terrifying. But, considering there's a child actually using all these different swear words, you can't hear them now because there's a limit of what you can do. And, I think that's why I like the Exorcist because realistically they didn't have a limit. They had a child saying so many sexual references, swear words, profanity, uncomfortable vomitting scenes. I mean, the scene where the priest comes from a cab the music is ICONIC now from this film. The actual demon is probably one of the most famous horror movie demon possession to date. I have seen many possession from demons and the Exorcist has that element of realism but breaking the boundaries that the demon isn't human....Which we do see in many other films. For example, The Possession with the box, I did find it realistic but at times the demon didn't use the full potential, when I say demons I mean writers. The Exorcist didn't think of the child being a demon, more the demon is being a child....Think about that. That's how I see the film and what they achieved from that. And, I think this is quite a popular horror film because people forget at what lengths the directors, actors, priests went to...because this is actually based on a true story if you look at the facts. Which either makes you think, "I don't care" or the more disturbing reaction "say what?!?" I think, considering this is a 1973 film...and the horror Hollywood rises around the 80s, I think it was even more famous because of the timing of the film. It stands out. And the fact, the director went through lengths to get that realistic reactions from the actors are just perfect for the film because you believe it. 

What Makes Exorcist Quite A Popular Horror Film?


I think it all comes down to the fact that it's a true story... I mean, we have The Conjuring, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Haunting in Connecticut. But, there's just something about the Exorcist that makes you want to stop, and watch. I mean, the Conjuring is quite new but based on a true story. If you look at the facts, you'll see the director hardly did any changes to the original true story which makes you know that it is a true story and they didn't do many changes. Plus, one of the changes was the fact that in the original story it's a boy that was possessed and not a girl.... I mean this is just from films. I think people feel more emotional if it's a girl that's possessed and not a boy. Because, I dunno I think it's the whole Hollywood image that we are seeing. I mean, the only boy in a horror film you'll feel sorry for is Sixth Sense I would personally say. I think it's the fact that female actress can portray that balance of the girl (helpless, innocence and imagination) and compare those elements of a typical Hollywood character girl to a demon (evil, cunning, intelligent and playful). That a think is the comparison. I think that's one of the reasons it's popular. You have an innocent girl at I THINK 5 or 6 years old, and she turns into this pure evil, demented and torturous demon. I think since there characters are completely different you have a sudden take of feeling sorry for the character and that at times feeling scared of the character. So, you're feeling two completely different emotions of the spectrum. Another reason, point blank. Back then, it was a very different film; different to The Omen, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, it stands alone and the fact they used special effects and as you read in the facts, not only did the director went through emotional stages so did the actors which I think is important.   


Facts About This Film

  1. The first horror film to be nominated for Best Picture Academy Award.
  2. Due to death threats against Linda Blair from religious zealots who believed the film "glorified Satan", Warner Bros. had bodyguards protecting her for six months after the film's release.
  3. Actress Mercedes McCambridge, who provided the voice of the demon, insisted on swallowing raw eggs and chain smoking to alter her vocalizations. Furthermore, the actress who had problems with alcohol abuse in the past, wanted to drink whiskey as she knew alcohol would distort her voice even more, and create the crazed state of mind of the character. As she was giving up sobriety, she insisted that her priest be present to counsel her during the recording process. At William Friedkin's direction, McCambridge was also bound to a chair with pieces of a torn sheet at her neck, arms, wrists, legs and feet to get a more realistic sound of the demon struggling against its restraints. McCambridge later recalled the experience as one of horrific rage, while Friedkin admitted that her performance--as well as the extremes which the actress put herself through to gain authenticity--terrifies the director to this day.
  4. The scene where Regan projectile vomits at Father Karras only required one take. The vomit was intended to hit him on the chest. Instead, the plastic tubing that sprayed the vomit accidentally misfired, hitting him in the face. The look of shock and disgust while wiping away the vomit is genuine. Actor Jason Miller, (Father Karras), admitted in an interview that he was very angered by this mistake.
  5. William O'Malley has told students that the movie is approximately 80% true. He claims the big discrepancies between the movie and reality were: it was a boy who was possessed, not a girl; the possession did not occur in Georgetown, DC, but outside the city in Maryland; and the color of the "pea-soup vomit" was not green. He claims most everything else in the movie did actually occur.
  6. On the first day of filming the exorcism sequence, Linda Blair's delivery of her foul-mouthed dialogue so disturbed the gentlemanly Max von Sydow that he actually forgot his lines.
  7. Father Dyer is played by William O'Malley, an actual priest who still teaches to this day at Fordham University.
  8. Upon its initial theatrical release the film affected many audiences so strongly that at many theaters, paramedics were called to treat people who fainted and others who went into hysterics.
  9. The original teaser trailer, which consisted of nothing but images of the white-faced demon quickly flashing in and out of darkness, was banned in many theaters, as it was deemed "too frightening"
  10. Director William Friedkin went to some extraordinary lengths to get realistic reactions from the cast. He fired off guns behind the actors to get the required startled effect. When Father Dyer is attempting to administer last rites to Father Karris, Friedkin was not satisfied after several takes. He took William O'Malley aside and asked, "Do you trust me?" O'Malley said yes just in time to get slapped across the face. Friedkin immediately said, "Action!" and the result is in the film. He even went so far as to put Linda Blair and Ellen Burstyn in harnesses and have crew members yank them violently.
  11. Ellen Burstyn received a permanent spinal injury during filming. In the sequence where she is thrown away from her possessed daughter, a harness jerked her hard away from the bed. She fell on her coccyx and screamed in pain.


My Rankings


IMDB users given this a solid 8 out of 10, but am remembering back in 1973 the budget this film got was $8,000,000 which isn't a lot if you think of Hollywood films today. The last grossing figure it had was in 2003 and it made a HUGE profit of $204,565,000 that's more than 10 times the profit of the budget. So, think why it made so much? Because it's a fantastic horror film for new and old horror fans. I give this a solid 9 out of 10, which is fair for this film in today's society. I didn't give it a 10 out of 10 simply because I think it deserves a highly recommended rating but there are the odd scenes where I think they could of cut.

So, What's The Bottom Line?


I physically or mentally can't give a bottom line. This film is STILL unique I think in today's society with all different kinds of possessed demon films The Exorcist is truly one that stands out. So, if I had to do a bottom line? Watch it, it's highly recommend for anyone to watch and see why it frightened people. Imagine it's your first proper Halloween horror film and you might see why and that's the bottom line. 


Here is the trailer:

Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070047/

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group, Just Click On The Link Below: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment