Sunday 16 November 2014

What's The Bottom Line with The Brass Teapot?

The Brass Teapot (2012)

Starring Juno Temple (The Dark Knight Rises as Jen and Maleficent as Thistletwit), Michael Angarano (Almost Famous as Young William and Sky High as Will Stronghold) and Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls as Rory Gilmore and Sin City as Becky) 


First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


This was one of those rare moments, where I just read the description and put it on. So, IMDB description is; 
When a couple discovers that a brass teapot makes them money whenever they hurt themselves, they must come to terms with how far they are willing to go.
Not much to go on is it? So, a couple find a brass teapot that makes money whenever they hurt themselves....That sounds weird doesn't it? And, how far are they willing to go for money? To be honest, the concept sounds amazing. I mean, I think it's human thought that makes us question how far are we physically and mentally willing to go. So, thinking of that in mind and the genre as well I think this should be a fantastic film. I think we all had this question, how far are we willing to go to be rich, wealthy or just to have that money. Because, in reality money literally does mean you can do things and maybe be happier. Maybe, they question happiness and love for money. Plus, hurting themselves doesn't have to be physical, sexual, or even accidental. It could actually be verbal. Like you're love one telling you "I hate you" or "I slept with the post man" would mentally hurt you....just curious how far they will play this and what kind of weird characters we will encounter.

After I Watched The Film?


I have to admit that my first impressions were near enough right. However, the characters that emerge from finding the teapot to the conclusion was just weird. I feel they didn't correctly use the characters to the full potential. I mean, there's two Jewish priest which for a comedy okay I'll have that, a Chinese businessman that understands the teapot.....right. Then, you have two wreck-less hill-billies. I mean, am not being funny this is just a mash up of crazy characters in a film. It doesn't make sense. Yes, the characters have little tiny links but it just doesn't make sense. The beginning and middle don't get me wrong is fantastic, and the end about 30 minutes left was just non-sense it went into a spiral and exploded. However, the concept is still there and I believe there is actually a myth about this Teapot which is interesting but I haven't found it anywhere. The acting is quite...dark at times and then light which is quite nice to have in a film. It's not a realistic film I have to say because it's just absurd and abnormal. However, I have to say that Juno Temple plays her character fantastically. But, Michael Angarano I felt needed to change a bit more for the money then keep into his ways. That's my only flaw with the characters really for the two main ones. We see one dramatically change but the other sticks to his morals. Which is understandable, you need that balance but I would love to see two crazy people crazy on pure greed and wealth. That's it really, I would prefer seeing that transaction. But, you do see Juno Temple's transition I have to say and it's spot on. 


Is A Comedy, Fantasy and Thriller genre...Is It A Good Balance?!?!


I have to say no. The comedy element was quite high, the fantasy was borderline because it's the concept of the whole tea pot that's the fantasy element there. But, thriller? What thriller? There wasn't times I was like "ooooo what's going to happen?" or "what's that noise?" There was very very little thriller element I was just preferred it was called a Comedy Fantasy genre because it wasn't a thriller. The balance....it's hard to say because it's pure opinion. But, honestly the comedy element was too high and if you involve that Thriller element it has to balance the comedy or it just wouldn't work. I think if you do mess with two completely different genres you need to get it right and this film didn't sadly. It should of just been purely comedy because it would probably of sold better. Juno Temple is a fantastic actress for comedy elements and so is Michael Angarano. But, honestly the balance isn't just slightly off it's off the scale. It needs re-writing and re-working for it to make some logical sense. And, the fact I wanted to see at least a police officer. I mean, someone having that much money randomly should at least have a police officer checking it out at least because logically sparks would of flies around somewhere in the finance department or the bank! 


Facts About This Film

  1. Ramaa Mosley first learned about Tim Macy after typing "best Short Story" on google. The two later met online and decided to make the short story that was to be "The Brass Teapot" into a comic book before adapting it to film.
  2. The only connection to this film to any other film is a short called The Brass Teapot form 2007
  3. During one scene when Alice and John are in bed after taking the teapot, the clock changes time from 2.46 to 2.34 vice versa add a minute or two, between each of the different shots.
  4. During the continuation of the "psychological warfare" sequence in the kitchen, the reflective edge of the table reveals the feet of the crew.
  5. When John and Alice are in the library, Alice rips a page out of the "Magical Objects and Potions" book. When John first notices, there are certain pages to the left and right of the torn out one. In the next shot with John, they are totally different pages with the torn page still in the middle.
  6. The budget for this film was $900,000 dollars but it only made $6,643....guess no sequel then?
  7. Since there isn't much more facts, thought I give some facts about the actors. Did you know Juno Temple whist studying at Bedales boarding school, she asked her St. Trinian's co-star Rupert Evertt to help her with her drama homework, but she only scored a C-minus.
  8. Michael Angarano was actually one of the three finalists for Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  9. You know Kristen Stewart from Twilight? Well, Michael Angarano was in a relationship with Kristen Stewart until early 2009 and they met on the set of Sparks (2004). 
  10. Michael Angarano also learned to play the violin for his role in Music of the Heart (1999) and he stills play today. 

My Rankings


I can confidently say this isn't a 10 out of 10 film. Overall, this film got a 6.4 which is understandable considering the poor written script. But, it's quite an underrated film I believed. The acting, the concept and the characters are there just the script and storyline went abit spiral out of control moments. So, I have to give it a 5 out of 10 simply because I didn't fully enjoy it. It is watch-able thou and thinking about the outcome is interesting if you ever thought, what lengths you have to go through for money. 


So, What's The Bottom Line?


If you are looking for that unknown comedy film and just want to put it on for the sake of putting something on. Then, this is the film I would say to watch. Don't buy it, it's not worth buying because I feel you be disappointed try and go into it with an open mind and you might be surprised. But, bottom line would be comedy is a thumbs up but the thriller lacks imagination and that's the bottom line.


Here is the trailer:

Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935902/

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Page, Just Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment