Wednesday 12 November 2014

What's The Bottom Line presents Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)



Starring Megan Fox as April O'Neil (Transformers and Jennifer's Body), Will Arnett  as Vernon Fenwick(The Lego Movie and Despicable Me), William Fichtner as Eric Sacks(The Dark Knight and Black Hawk Down) and Tohoru Masmune as Shredder (Inception and Warbirds)

In The Turtle Power 


Raphael: Alan Ritchson (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)
Michelangelo: Noel Fisher (Final Destination 2)
Leonardo: Pete Ploszek (Outage: WWE) and voice Johnny Knoxville (Jackass: The Movie)
Donatello: Jeremy Howard (How The Grinch Stole Christmas)
Splinter: Danny Woodburn (Death to Smoochy) and voice Tony Shalhoub (Monk)



First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


I like doing some research into most films I watch, I was surprised Whoopi Goldberg! Is in this film. I knew that the main villain is Shredder because Shredder is simply the most iconic villain in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. So, I was wondering because the Turtles have been revamped and the look is stunning! We can't deny that Shredder should look awesome. Looking at the casting thou.....it's interesting. I mean look at Pete Ploszek who plays Leonardo on set. He is basically, not even a D list actor and this is the most highest ranked film he has ever done! But, Johnny Knoxville is the voice of Leonardo which brings the casting to a B list. But, Danny Woodburn is quite a well known actor and surprised he plays Splinter and off course Ton Shalhoub plays the voice of Splinter who we know from Monk, Thirteen Ghost and Spy Kids! I was actually more concerned because it's rated a 12A....So, we expect some violence, and Nickelodeon is behind the film. So, comedy should be quite high as well. But, I was put off seeing this film because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a childhood program and film I use to watch, and see them either in a different light or not the same might change my opinion of them. So, I went to see this movie with an open mind. So, let's get to brass tax or in this case a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese and see what I thought.

After I Watched The Film?


Before I say anything, don't expect Venus De Milo at all in this film. If you don't recognize that name she is the female turtle of the gang. If you remember the 90s program you'll remember that bad-ass truck they drive around with. I won't say yes or no to that. But, it's there. I was surprised how much action and violence was in this film. But, what annoyed me the most yes Shredder as you see above has a huge armour upgrade from what we know. But, to me that's too much power to see in this villain. I remember Shredder being this average person size guy but can fight and to me these upgrades help Shredder fights. I was happy thou, seeing all the turtles and Splinter kicking some butt. Because, seeing Splinter fighting in the TV Shows and Films was a rare opportunity so was happy to see that. April O'Neal is an accurate character in the universe of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because it was referenced in the first movie. In general, the film is quite accurate with the comics, but the main turtle showing this was Mikey, he was funny, which is how we remember him. Raphael for me, was too serious. Yeah, at first you see Raphael as this strict, no-fun character and completely fixed on kicking butt. This film, I felt they didn't bring that hard nut to crack more a strict character. Leonardo was okay, as you know from the past he is ironically the leader which he did well but wanted to see more emotion I thought. But, Donatello was the most disappointing for me, I remember Donatello loving technology, making gadgets, and talking really fast because he's so passionate about technology. But, thought it lacked that connection to the character. The action scenes thou I thought needed to be a little less and more comedy because these Turtle Ninjas are truly a fun bunch of Turtles. And, the first appearance of the Turtles.....was spot on. So, I thought the beginning around 25 minutes were perfect but then it went into a roller coaster ride.

 


How Does Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Compare To The 1990s Film Version?


Forget Venus De Milo, I think the 1990s was perfect with comedy elements but need more action. This version just swapped it. The back stories were short and sweet, but I did feel the 90s one had more twists, interesting characters, and the Turtles themselves  more interesting to look at for not just comedy, but more interaction. Since, we do have technology for better films now I felt yes....look at the turtles they are much darker, mutated and off course more detailed. But, I felt it lacked that comedy. I keep going on about comedy, but remember it's a kids film. I mean, yeah our generation have seen Transformers, Harry Potter, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. So, I feel....they had to give it more violence then comedy because it's not the 90s any more, people want to see more action. So, comparing them.....the 2014 clearly has better looking characters, karate skills brilliant and the twists....did see coming because I know the background, but for a newbie it will surprise. HOWEVER, I do feel the 90s version has that karate comedy! like fighting the pawns with pizza boxes, skate boards etc it just adds that comedy element and they have more personalities I felt. But, I will say the footsteps soldiers were the same which I love because it's like keeping that past image of the evil minions.

Facts About This Film


  1. The film was actually released on the 30th anniversary of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" saga.
  2. The original script had the mutant thugs Bebop and Rocksteady. But they were written out, with the intent of appearing in a sequel. So, hopefully Venus De Milo comes in here! 
  3. Raphael has "Mikey was here" scribbled on his shell (in Japanese so he can't tell!).
  4. The Turtle Van's car horn theme is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) theme. I love this fact mainly because it's reconnecting back to the old versions of the film and pays some impact on the fans.
  5. Master Splinter is played by 4-foot actor Danny Woodburn. This is in regards to the original Mirage "TMNT" comics, where Splinter was smaller in stature compared to his Turtle stepsons.
  6. Originally, Michelangelo had a gold chain around his neck, but was ultimately changed after receiving criticism of being a stereotype towards black people. It was then digitally replaced with a seashell necklace to better represent Michelangelo's outgoing surfer & skateboarding personality.
  7. Whoopi Goldberg stated that this movie has been a lifelong goal of hers: "My daughter was a huge fan of the original TMNT cartoon so when the original movie was announced she wanted me to be in it and so I asked around but it never happened, same with the other films they made, so when I heard this new project get announced I asked around again and to my surprise I got the part!"
  8. April's (Megan Fox) line "Aliens? No, that's stupid!" while discussing the Turtles, is a reference to a much-maligned and ultimately discarded, proposed early story-line that had the Turtles be of alien origin.
  9. The undercover code name for the filming of the movie was "Foursquare". This name was told to anyone who asked what was being filmed to keep the secret.
  10. Jane Levy, Anna Kendrick and Elizabeth Olsen tested for the role of April O'Neill. Am glad Elizabeth Olsen or Anna Kendrick did the role because even thou I've seen the movie, I don't think they would pull over the role.
  11. The filmmakers cite the comic book film Avengers Assemble (2012) and the martial arts films Fist of Legend (1994) and The Raid (2011) as an influence on the action.
  12. Megan Fox, Will Arnett and Johnny Knoxville cited their children as a big factor in their decision to be in the film.
  13. Within two weeks of the films release in the u.s a green light was given for a Michael Bay sequel.
  14. As you know actors could get hurt in the making of any film....And, Megan Fox broke her little finger while filming
  15. Look out for a very special person.....you know Stan Lee in cameo's in nearly all of his films? Well, Kevin Eastman the creator of Ninja Turtles is in this film. He plays a doctor. 

My Rankings


Am going to be fair, IMDB users rated this a 6.2,  and I would agree. Simply from what I said before, it lacked something. I think because we know there doing a sequel, they have to make sure they understand the characters and shoot it right. Maybe, keep the level of action but add more comical scenes for not just the kids but adults too. 


So, What's The Bottom Line?


It's a hard bottom line, because I love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I did go in with an open mind, however the lack of imagination, the acting was overall watchable, the special effects brilliant. But, the bottom line would be if you want to see a remake of you're childhood film/TV Show that decision is up to you, so you may be disappointed or overall okay with the film. But, think before you watch and what you learned from this blog and hopefully helps with you're decision and that's the bottom line. 


Here is the trailer: 

Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291150/

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group, Just Click On The Link Below: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment