Tuesday 11 November 2014

What's The Bottom Line, Looking At My Top 30 Favourite Musical Songs

My Top 30 Favourite Musical Songs


Introduction


So, this is quite a simple blog, my favourite songs from different musicals, this will most likely be the longest blog I will ever write! Am looking at 30 completely different musicals, some new, some old and some unknown ones to you readers, and for a great treat! I have added my favourite videos of the song, this could be from the film, stage production or music videos or even an unknown performers singing the songs. So, let's let it go, and enjoy our musical enjoyments. And, this isn't an order from best to worst, I love all these songs equally and it was impossible! to have an order for them. So, let's get to it!


1) You Can't Stop The Beat from Hairspray


Out of this musical I love all the sounds, it was so hard to decide which one is my favourite. But, got to the end and it was the song "You Can't Stop The Beat" really makes you want to move you're feet. It has everything in one song, drama, romance, comedy, and showing that race doesn't matter at all! It's speaking of a new day for everyone, for history and for life! The dancing is cheesy but it's the 60s off course it's cheesy! This musical is my favourite, I prefer the film version because the cast can't get any better! You got John Travolta, Christopher Walken, Brittany Snow, Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah, Zac Efron, James Marsden, Amanda Bynes and Nikki Blonsky! It's an all star cast musical and even the extra tracks has Nathan Lane! What more could you ask for, the CD soundtrack is amazing, the performance is stunning, costumes creative, lyrics inspiring! You Can't Stop The Beat is always one of my favourite songs because it's one me and my Grandma has shared, we both loved the film we were tapping our foots when it's on and every weekend we always put it on because it just screams fabulous. 



2) Cell Block Tango from Chicago


I was going for All That Jazz or Mister Cellophane because I love those songs, but I re-listened and watched Cell Block Tango from Chicago and I have to admit, it's one of the most complicated choreographies, set stunning and the creativeness is brilliant. With a single word, we are entering a new world of the prisoners and how they are there....and it's quite clever with the set of the cells you're just seeing figures of the woman, it shows that this is like there home in some way that they are trapped, but still have a voice. We have Pop! Squish! Six! Uh Uh! Cicero! Lipschitz! And, I love the fact all the stories are different because it shows they went into detail on creating different characters and being that time period it fits in as well. Plus, it's not all at the same beat, it speeds up and makes it more powerful as a song and as a performance as well. Because, we get the impression it's all about Velma at the prison and in some way she's the head with Mama but the cell block tango, brings that self of equality with all the prisoners having different stories. It's like Shawshank Redemption there all there for different reasons. But, Cell Block Tango has different tempos and the performers different accents so there spread around America so it fits with the different scenarios. 

3) Mean Green Mother From Outer Space from Little Shop of Horrors

I was torn with Feed Me and Dentist because it just screams out cheesiness. But, this wins at cheesiness I mean a ghetto, back chatting, bad-ass mother planet from outer space. It's catchy, it's weird, it's absurd and I love this song! I recently watched it and I have to admit the plant at this point, I keep forgetting it's a plant! It has feelings, it's comical, it shows emotions, and it's just one of the most funniest cheesiest musicals you'll probably ever see ever. I am going with the film mainly because you'll never get the plant quality like the one in the movie. Plus, you have Rick Moranis from Ghostbusters, Steve Martin as the mad dentist and appearances from John Candy and Bill Murray! It's a full of laughs, blood and guys with a sassy plant! A random fact, one of the trio singers is from My Wife and Kids who plays the mom! Don't believe me CHECK IT OUT! I was shocked at that little fact. 


4) They Live in You from The Lion King the Musical

I have to admit, this is beautiful on stage. It just took my breath away, it just shouts out Lion King being spiritual, wise and it reaches out to you. It's relaxing and the puppets in the background and slow dancers make you seem hypnotic into the music. But, a real treat here, the video below is actually a very well known actor.....Samuel E. Wright.....he was the crab Sebastian in The Lion King....sounds familiar the voice doesn't it! I feel this is my favourite in the musical because it stands out and it's not really related to the film which I would of loved to have in the film. But, this what makes Lion King the Musical stand out this song, and many more similar to the spiritual and relaxing tone of the piece. 


5) Pretty Woman from Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I think I have seen most of the Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, I have seen the Angela Lansbury version and that's a full on opera, a song every second. Then, you have the Ray Winstone version which isn't a musical more of the drama/horror bases. But, I prefer Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd because of many reason really. The music is flowing, the music attracts you to listen. And, let's be honest Sweeney Todd is Johnny Depp, his eyes go to that place and he actually needed to learn how to use barber blades for the performance. The judge as Alan Rickman is just perfect, class, posture is the Judge, he wants to purge the evil and we see moments where he is full of sin really. Plus, we have Helena Bonham Carter as well in Sweeney Todd as Mrs. Lovett, I would advice watching the Angela Lansbury version and then watch the Tim Burton and you see masses changes. But, both these songs are in, I prefer this version because it's not powerful opera voices and the level of acting and concentration and the vocals from both actors are stunning. 


6) Look Down from Les Miserables

I feel this is my favourite in Les Miserables because it sets the bar for the other sounds to follow. I haven't seen it on stage but there are clips on YouTube of this performance. And, I will keep saying the film simply because films can do much more than on stage. Plus, Look Down sets the characters like Hugh Jackman playing Jean Valjean and 24601 and Russell Crowe playing Javert. I just feel the power, the torture, the depressive times at this point in history, because I don't believe know this sort of things in Les Miserables actually happened around this time. It's a stunning musical, but I think the first song set it up, it draws you in to learn more about Jean Valjean and Javert and all the other characters that are soon to unfold in the musical.


7) Strangers Like Me from Tarzan The Broadway Musical

I actually love this song that Phil Collins wrote, Strangers Like Me, I saw the YouTube clip and I really want to see Tarzan the Broadway Musical, I prefer this to the film because it's there! It's visual, and it's got more performance elements like acrobats, special effects. It's bringing Disney films to live which I find stunning. And, plus we hear Tarzan singing it which gives you a different side to see Tarzan I think, and the instruments balancing the song isn't as great as the film but it's live! And, the fact Tarzan sings shows the song much more meaning then Phil Collins singing. It appears to be a stunning musical, extremely creative and thoughtful in the design of the set and costumes and thought about each character and the jungle surroundings.  


8) Raise Your Voice from Sister Act 

I saw Sister Act in London and Sister Superior was played by Whoopi Goldberg, one of my favourite musical mem ory! And, this song is very much Sister Act. Who plays Delores Patina Miller plays the character fabulous, I mean you have Whoopi Goldberg that sets that cheeky, sassy, comical, funny and caring character up and Patina Miller for me that's it to that next level! The producer is also Whoopi Goldberg as well! Plus, when I watch Sister Acts I notice in both the film and musical that the nuns are people! They have a sense of humour and each nun is different but love to sing. I just generally love this song, because it shows that Delores character loves music and is connecting with the other nuns and becoming friends. And, I remember the priest when we went to see the musical was from Dad's Army and he played Pike! So, I have many actors and actresses from all of my favourite Film and TV Shows. But, considering Sister Act came out in 1992! And, it's now a smash hit musical is brilliant! The costumes are stunning, the set is inspiring and the script is similar to the film but still has many surprises. 


9) Seasons of Love from Rent

I have never seen Rent, don't know what's it about or anything! But, I love this song. Seasons of Love is the title and the beginning just makes you think and feel for the people singing. The clip I watched was feeling for these people emotionally, and I know I will have to watch Rent one day because I've never seen it and it looks like a fantastic musical. The instruments and vocals are brilliant, the costumes aren't fancy or over the top it's straight and simple which is refreshing when you're going to a musical. 


10) I'm A Believer from Shrek The Musical

I might take back the cheesiness, this might win.....what am I kidding it does win! I'm A Believer has the most cheesiest dance routine, yeah it's from Dreamworks Shrek, but visually it's like you are in a fairy tale book. The comedy and the characters is all you ever wanted and the songs are creative, my other song I was debating to have was Travel Song, which really shows Donkey's annoying behaviour. But, I'm A Believer was in Shrek the movie, so it was nice seeing it as a bigger performance level. Because, in the film we see all mythical creatures singing, dancing, playing instruments. So, seeing it in the musical and heightened as a synced choreographed dance was astounding. 


11) Something There from Beauty and the Beast

I do feel out of the film and of the musical Something There is one of my favourite, because for me it's showing the first look and the first true love that the Beast and Belle have for each other and the fact the other characters notice it. It's similar to the film, but the costumes are stunning, Disney musicals are quite creative and they have the money behind them and so does Dreamworks so they are making there money on these musicals. I like the fact that we do see the characters we grew up as a kid on stage because they bring our childhood songs to live on stage which you can't beat really. 


12) Who Will Buy? from Oliver!

Am quite weird, you would of thought it be Consider Yourself or You Gotta Pick A Pocket or Two! But, this song always gets me! It's like, how do I describe it....it's like merchants trying to sell you there goods which are like precious items. Then, it breaks down to normal activities. I think that's it really. It shows the normality in the most unusual situations all at once. And, then we have Oliver pitching about tying up a ribbon in a box about the day. So, we have the balance of the normality of normal things on a beautiful day. But, Oliver is speaking about the perfect day in a box and keeping it as a treasure. I always think, you know when we all feel that I hope you don't forget about the perfect day, so I feel Oliver has the plan of keeping it in a box so he won't forget, which is what we all want really. Then, from the soft singing to the more excitable singing and dancing of Who Will Buy. 




13) The Music of the Night from Phantom of the Opera


I prefer Michael Crawford, but this footage was too good to pass on. I feel...it's weird it's a song to me the Phantom has put this woman under a hypnotic trans through the love of music. It's a well known musical and I prefer this song out of the whole musical, I love the idea of the Phantom through a tragic experience and has found love through this woman and his music. It's just a really romantic musical I found, and Michael Crawford was the first Phantom, which back then was known for Some Mothers Do Ave Them. I think it's hypnotic more because of the soft then the deep tones of music, to make it like a spell. The set is just spectacular, you're captured in the phantom's imagination and the notes of the music is soaring through your ears. I have seen the film version, Michael Crawford's version and even the non-musical version with Robert Englund playing the Phantom, who Robert Englund plays Freddie Kruegar. So, i feel Phantom of the Opera has so many elements to it, it can be a musical, non-musical and can be in spoofs like Simpsons, Goosebumps, Family Guy. Phantom of the Opera is popular, and I feel that this song for me, don't know about others makes it sound stunning. 



14) Defying Gravity from Wicked

I saw Wicked only recently this year, and I found the effects as wonderful as Oz, the back stories in the characters were imaginative and creative, and you have to remember it has to make sense to the Wizard of Oz the film which is nearly above 70 years ago, and the books are much older! I have heard two versions of Defying Gravity.... I have heard the Wicked version and the Glee version. I do love the Glee version because it gives another new element to the song, it makes it much softer, to me it makes it sound like a love story because there's two of them singing the song. But, Wicked wins the spot because visually a spectacular performance. Plus, you have Idina Menzel who sung Let It Go from Frozen, she was the first Wicked Witch to play Elphaba and I feel Defying Gravity is when we discover who the Wicked Witch is. And, we see the transition of seeing a change into her character then which is interesting to watch. And, let's be honest Idina Menzel is a stunning singer! She hits the notes! The make up, yeah she has a green face but the special effects are brilliant, a proper west end production and you see the characters of Elphaba and Glinda relationship.



15) Everybody Needs Somebody To Love from Blues Brothers

Have to go with the film, not because of just Dan Aykroyd  and John Belushi, it's because we have incredible famous singers in the movie. This song is such a great feel good song, and they have comedy at the beginning welcoming the police department, they have quirky dance routines and they try and bail during the song. And, the faces on the people's faces when they start singing is hilarious! Plus, this film is all about the blues, the Blues Brothers really make there presence known. From the beginning to the very end it's such an incredible well written storyline, bizarre situations and the Blues Brothers themselves are hilarious to watch.



16) The Merry Old Land of Oz from The Wizard of Oz

You're probably wondering why not Over the Rainbow, If I Had A Brain/Heart/Courage. But, nope. Am going for something completely different. I actually love The Merry Old Land of Oz mainly the film version because the stage production didn't quite hit the right note. But, here's why. I find that The Merry Old Land of Oz, is actually what Oz is all about. They are doing this journey of seeing the Wizard, and they are finally at Oz. Now, we know it's Green, but what are the people like? Do they work? Do they cheer? Are they happy? Well, this song explains all that and the fact that they are all smiling and happy and cheerful, we get the impression that Oz is truly a merry old land to live in.



17) Memory from Cats

I cry at this song, I don't know why. I feel sorry for this cat, and I feel that the song is a way for her to say what's up with her. Because, we never really know until she sings this, she's an out sider from the other cats. But, she is truly a remarkable singer Elaine Paige sings this song, it's a short song and not a full on monologue. But, it speaks volumes which I feel it needs for Cats. It's not all fame, glamour, prowling and performing. I think Memory is that one song that stands out from the rest because Elaine Paige's character is on her own, and we hear from an outsiders words. 




18) Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins

I like the fact we aren't seeing what Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews did it at a horse track. This time it's at this shop. And yes, spelt it right! I prefer this version to the movie version because it's very different. For example, they spell/sing supercalifragilisticexpialidocious slow to start with and speeds up! I mean, remember there not just adults there's Michael and Jane who play Mr. Banks kids and there doing it as well. And, to me....it's not catchy spelling it. I struggling spelling it let alone sing spelling it. Plus, they have similarities to the film production but this seems more fun and much more silly to the film. Yeah, the film had animation, but this you can see the magic unfold without computers.



19) Do-Re-Mi from The Sound of Music

I like Edelweiss because we see the dad's feelings and emotions come out much more through this song. But, I love Do-Re-Mi because of the catchiness, the fun and off course the love of music. Plus, the play on words are cute. The kids singing and Julie Andrews just shows the level of passion for something in common like music. I was also going to pick Favourite Things, but I think this shows more fun of learning music, and showing the relationship between the children and Julie Andrews character. 


20) One Night Only from Dreamgirls

It was recently on the X-Factor because I saw a clip from Gogglebox, and I thought this song was done beautifully. But, I thought I look at Dreamgirls and I feel this song has so much meaning for the person singing. One Night Only is literally One Night Only! It's hear and now, so listening up. You hear the emotions of desperation, hope, love, care, cheekiness even in the song in moments. You hear she's reaching out and I think that's important through  a song to project you're meaning into the words. I will say it's quite repetitive but each time she sings "One Night Only" I do feel it means something else, in different situations if you just listen you'll hear it. And, for a performer to demonstrate these meanings in such a simple lyrical music, but projects that voice to the unknown and the performance level it develops you to feel for this singer. 




21) Greased Lightnin' from Grease


Was this or Saturday Night, so I went with this because it's just funny and demonstrates this time period I felt. Plus, I prefer hearing John Travolta to Oliver-Newton John. And the fact, I heard this a lot at Karaoke nights and I wish I had a video for those nights! But, honestly it's such a funky, driving and up beat song I love this song. The dance routines are simple and fun loving which balances out the whole song itself and we see the men sing together in there environment of a garage.


22) Don't Rain On My Parade from Funny Girl


This was also on X-Factor as well on Gogglebox...seems like people love Musicals too. I saw this scene and I saw it on stage. I prefer the film version....mainly because I prefer Barbara Streisand. I love the beginning and the facial reactions she does throughout the scene it's like a child hitting back at the adults I feel. I feel she's happy, she's gonna lie, she's going to get what she wants and likes it. She determined, I feel that's what this song is about. It's about determination, get what she wants and loving life!


23) Singin' In The Rain from Singin' In The Rain

My favourite scene in the whole movie....I will say I have done this song in this situation as well. I was walking from High School and just felt so happy I walked in the rain with my umberella but didn't have it up....Was just too happy. I love Gene Kelly, fantastic singer and this scene you truly see the happiness of being in love, and it's like the rain is a memory to that love connection. Plus, the prop is fantastically used, you can still see this on stage. It's fantastic, but I would just love to see Singin' in the Rain done differently.....Wait it has! Glee did a version but I still prefer the classic way it's done.


24) Take A Chance on Me from Mamma Mia!

The start of it isn't really musical taste, but the reason I picked this and this version all comes down to Julie Walters....She's soooo funny in this video, she comes across as this desperate cougar in moments but she is such a loveable character. Plus, we see more of Julie Walters flirting and character more in this song. And, the scene is simple, there's no major dance routines, no special effects it's mainly Julie Walters and Stellan Skarsgard is a great combination. And, Stellan Skarsgard look familiar??? Well, he should he is Dr. Erik Selvig in Avengers, Thor, Thor Dark World, and probably Avengers 2.



25) Killer Queen from We Will Rock You


I couldn't find the scene or Killer Queen I prefer but this is better than nothing! I love this song, mainly because we know more about Killer Queen and we see her in action and what she is made off. And, also what she is in society. Killer Queen is the villain, well one of the villains in We Will Rock You. When I saw it on stage in Manchester, I was shocked at the character because she was just basically a dominatrix that can sing but has some form of style and fashion.....That's Killer Queen!



26) Lady Marmalade from Moulin Rouge

Lady Marmalade is the perfect image of the whole Moulin Rouge image. We have Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Pink and Mya. In this version I found, we have Beyonce too. I think it's catchy, fun, passionate and above all sexy which is what Moulin Rouge is when you first look. It's clubby, it's something you hear and see at clubs in that time period. 


27) Sweet Transvestite from The Rocky Horror Picture Show


I think this the Rocky Horror Picture Show is quite a well known Musical, you could pick The Time Warp. But, I've gone with the first appearance of the Doctor, Tim Curry as at first glances and evil mastermind! And then, he strips his coat off and bang he is a sweet transvestite and proud of it. Tim Curry wears this attire throughout the film, but some scenes wears something else. Overall, the character Tim Curry is playing is absurd, unbalance, psychotic, murderous, fun loving, sexy, all these different traits in one film. I picked this song because of it being the first appearance of Tim Curry who elevated the film to a whole new level.




28) Night Surgeon from Repo! The Genetic Opera


Not many people would know this musical but Repo! The Genetic Opera is truly a unique musical that must be seen. We have Anthony Head playing the murderous Repo Men, Paris Hilton playing Amber Sweet, Alexa Vegas as Shilo Wallace, Paul Sorvino as Rotti Largo, and Sarah Brightman as Blind Mag. At first glances it is truly a weird cast, but it is a very weird film! It's very sexual, it's got tons of music, and the storyline is breath taking, it's slightly complicated, there's funny moments, serious moments, and you see Anthony Head sing a tune. Don't worry thou, I can't remember Paris Hilton singing at all! But, the music is stunning and the singing is truly one to listen too. 



29) The Internet Is For Porn from Avenue Q The Musical


One of the key elements I was passionate about at university and still am is puppetry and voice work. Now, Avenue Q has taken the whole The Muppets and taken it to the adults. So, which song would be perfect for the adults? THE INTERNET IS FOR PORN! It's such a great comical song, there's sooo many of them. I haven't seen it live just clips and scenes but I would love to watch this one day. It's like something from my childhood but watch-able for the adults. And, the puppeteers bring the puppets to live, you see the characters of the puppets and not the puppeteers. 



30) Just Keep Swimming from Finding Nemo the Musical


Now, not many people know this is a musical at all! But, this song is just funny and it's Dory all over.....Just keep swimming! It's one of the songs in Finding Nemo the Musical, the puppet work is just INCREDIBLE, it's like watching you're favourite Finding Nemo character coming to live and I would highly recommend anyone to watch this. Check out the Just Keep Swimming video below, see Marvin and Dory to come life! It's truly a stunning masterpiece of puppetry. 



So, What's The Bottom Line?


These are my top 30 musical songs, but taste change, and so does films and musicals but if you feel you love a musical you shouldn't hide away from it. I love musicals because they all have stories that must be told and with special effects, costumes, and off course the music it takes you to a different place where you want to go and believe in the musical and that's the bottom line. 

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group Click Here, If You Want To Join Our Facebook Page Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment