Tuesday 4 November 2014

What's The Bottom Line Special presents Memory Music on Disney Songs



presents

Disney Songs


Introduction


I am really excited about this blog because am a HUGE Disney fan and one of those reasons is because of the music. So, this blog is going to look at my favourite, my first, my last, my least favourite songs in the Disney universe! PLUS, just for you readers I'll even add the YouTube videos of the song/performance as well and I will be quite in depth in each song so you get a general feel of why I said this. PLUS, 10 random facts about Disney songs and why is Disney songs so popular? All this right here, so let's get the magic starting by all great blogs do....at the beginning.



First Disney Song would be Heigh-Ho sung by The Dwarf Choir from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs


I think my first Disney film was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which ironically is the first Disney film that Walt Disney created. But, I remember singing this to the table, to bed, to school, it was one of my favourite Disney songs and I think it's because it's so happy and chirpy. It has a great feel good texture to the song and it can come cross as annoying I guess. But, it's still used the reference to Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho it's off to work we go. I know many many adults that use this reference and even whistle the tune through Facebook. Plus, I am happy this is my first one because I think after Snow White it was Mary Poppins which had many more feel good songs. But, I think Heigh-Ho and Snow White in general always has a place in my childhood because as a child I had lots of characteristics to the characters, like Dopey, Grumpy, Doc, Bashful I think it's a great film to start kids of because it shows different characters and they all came together in this song which I found fantastic. 





Last Disney Song was Let It Go sung by Idina Menzel from Frozen


From the first to my last Disney song, Let It Go.... I mean what can you say about this? It's very different to many Disney films. It's very passionate and understanding like other Disney films but Disney is tackling the fact you don't need a prince to have a happy ending. Another factor is this is sung by Idina Menzel whom is hugely famous in the West End for being in Wicked. But, I think it's Elsa we feel, we see her true self in this song and am not going to lie....Christmas is coming and I can see this song being played everywhere! So, I think this will be the last Disney film for many people in December, if you have Sky it will probably be on then for free. It will be in stores, shops, it's just a popular feel good song. It's all about who you are and you should be proud of it. Which for parents you're great it's a positive message for children, the music and lyrics are beautiful and kids can easily sing it...I mean we have YouTube evidence of this....Maybe, just maybe at not Idina Menzel level but it's still feel good for everyone to sing. It might get on you're nerves but it's a fantastic feel good song, and it's a true feel good song. The song does and doesn't relate to her powers, it relates to her as an individual which I think is important to address.






My Favourite Disney song would be between Dig A Little Deeper from Princess and the Frog and Zero to Hero in Hercules


I couldn't pick....so you have two! It's Zero to Hero from Hercules which is amazing! I love this kind of music, it just gets you pumped up in the morning to tackle the day. I think I watch Hercules when I was around 6/7 and at that time Sister Act I watched for the first time. I generally love this music, and I feel happy listening to it. The video is amazing as well, it feels like a funky hippy, action packed music video all into one. Then, equal level is Dig A Little Deeper from Princess and the Frog, I mean this is another similar style just more funky I think. I love the character, I love the atmosphere of the scene the song is taking place. Plus, I have to say the main singer of the song is the exact character to one of my puppets, so there's that connection. It just makes me feel like it's all about self discovery, who you are, and what you are matters than what's on the outside more about what's on the inside. Which, I feel as a society not many people know this factor. I feel these two songs demonstrate this life lesson that it matters on the inside then the outside. 





My Least Favourite Disney Song would be I Love To Laugh from Mary Poppins


Let's just get this over with, I can't stand it. I could just stand it in the west end production of Mary Poppins. It's one of the most annoying and ridiculous Mary Poppins song, and I LOVE Mary Poppins, I exit the room when this is on because I just can't stand it. I just feel it's cheesy and lacks imagination, I know that's quite harsh but I just feel it's more of a play on words then a song. I have to admit thou, being on a ceiling and being stuck because of laughter is creative, when Dick Van Dyke is doing the examples of different laughters is brilliant. But, I just don't like it. I feel quite passionate when I feel that Walt Disney was happy with this song. And, the exit of the song lacked something.... I don't know what I just always felt this scene was just added in to make the song. That's my personal preference because on reflection you never ever meet this bloke they come to rescue and he knows him through the chimney sweeper....which I guess makes sense. But, I just felt it was too OTT for a Disney film......yeah I know there was dancing penguins but still I feel it lacked something.






My Favourite Cover of Disney Songs is Michael Crawford singing When She Loved Me from Toy Story 2


I think when you listen to the original and then compare it to Michael Crawford.....it does take your breath away I think....I think it's one of those songs everyone can relate too. Either when it's a love one leaving, a break up, a best friend leaving...it's all recognizable and universal I think. Plus, not many people know this but Michael Crawford is from a TV Show called "Some Mothers Do Av' Them" but more importantly he was the Phantom in Andrew's Lloyd Webber Phantom of the Opera. And, Michael Crawford is still singing today, and this is my favourite song he will no doubtfully do for me. I feel....when you hear the original Jessie's version.....and then when you listen to Michael Crawford it's like there linked in a way you wouldn't think of. Not because of the female to male voice, I think it's more because you could paint a different picture in you're head and I think that's from your own experiences I personally think, and it ends quite slow so makes you wonder that extra bit more than a sudden stop. And, if you like that he also did You'll Be In My Heart from Tarzan.



My Least Favourite Cover of Disney Songs is Robbie Williams and Olly Murs singing I Wan'na Be Like You from The Jungle Book



Am really sorry to say this but am sharpening the knife for this. I LOVE I Wan'na Be Like You, simply because I will always have that scene in my head from the Jungle Book. It's a fantastic funky and jazzy song to me. I love the characters bouncing off to each other and it's silly and funny as well. But, Robbie Williams and Olly Murs, love both artists but I felt like it wasn't there. I felt the silliness wasn't there, the Disney feel was gone, and the fact that they changed some of the lyrics which is understandable when doing the cover. But, they did the whole improvisation bit of beating to the instruments which was quite bad to hear, my ear drums might of been damage for how poorly they beat box to the instruments. The feel of the music wasn't as lively to the Jungle Book version, which I feel they did a risk when doing this song because it's already an exciting song so to get it that level higher is quite hard I feel. I didn't like the ending, just felt like it ended on the most cheesiest way....and there wasn't much point to it I felt. 



What Is It That Makes Disney Songs Popular?


Let me break this down in the simplest way.....Disney songs one way or another is our link to childhood. Whether it's new songs like Frozen, Wreck It Ralph, Tangled, or Brave to the much more classical Disney films to Snow White, Songs from the South, 101 Dalmatians or Robin Hood. We all have links to some, all or even one Disney film because of the music being linking to us one way or another. And the fact, that it does link to our childhood and other kids childhood when we grow up, I think it's all some how, one way or another all Disney films in some context is linkable to our own lives.....Don't be believe me? Oliver and Company about abandonment and rebuilding yourself as an individual...could be linkable by being an orphan like the take on the Oliver musical or more linkable note of losing someone dear. 101 Dalmatians could be protection of a love one from danger, Fox and the Hound about friendship in the weirdest of places, even Winnie the Pooh! Of how completely different characteristics, animals working together and helping each other, that's very linkable to look at it as high school, college, work place, university etc. With the music, the twists and turns we are seeing in Disney films from the very beginning to now we don't notice the links.....Think about the links of Disney songs, Tarzan Strangers Like Me, no matter how different you'll make yourself out to be you'll always be human, accept that factor of being an individual and spread you're wings of accomplishing something much more than you give yourself credit for. So, what makes Disney Songs so popular......I would personally say that most Disney songs have that relate-able gene that we can address and dance and sing along too. 


10 Facts About Disney Songs

  1. Ever wondered what was Walt Disney's favourite Disney song? It was Feed The Birds from Mary Poppins.
  2. Elton John actually believed at the time, the song "Hakuna Matata" from the Lion King, which he composed for the Disney film would be a low point in his career! Elton John said in 1995 "I sat there with a line of lyrics that began "When I was a young warthog". and I thought "Has it come to this?" 
  3. All but 5 minutes of Song of the South contains music! 
  4. The iconic song "Part of Your World" was almost cut from The Little Mermaid
  5. "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" was also almost cut from The Lion King. Elton John, who saw the film with the song removed, told producers they needed to put it back in. 
  6. Idina Menzel was actually originally auditioned for Tangled but was passed over. But, the recording she did for that audition, a rendition of the Beatles "Blackbird", led to her getting early consideration for Frozen.
  7. Aladdin cut a song called "Proud of Your Boy" from the animated film, but you ever notice this song in the Broadway show? Well, that's where it is now! Never made the film but made Broadway! 
  8. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" from Frozen is sung in part by a little girl named Katie Lopez, the daughter of the writers of the song. 
  9. Christina Aguilera's debut single was actually "Reflection" from Mulan. "Genie in a Bottle" was released a year later
  10. Alice in Wonderland holds the record for the most songs in a Disney film.


My Rankings


No wonder Mickey Mouse looks so happy, what can I rank on Disney songs? Some good, some bad but at the end of the day it depends of preferences of songs and music taste really. So, that being said am sorry but Disney songs for me get a 10 out of 10, I hate and love Disney songs but at the end of the day Disney songs take me to that place where I feel happy. And, that's why it has a 10 out of 10

What's The Bottom Line?


Bottom line? Well, am going to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo! out of here and listen to some Disney soundtracks and you should too, and that's the bottom line! 


Remember to follow our Facebook Group Here and our Facebook Page Here

No comments:

Post a Comment