Wednesday 30 July 2014

What's The Bottom Line With The Mask?

The Mask (1994)


First off, HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY. On 19th August 1994 the film The Mask came onto our big screens and still makes us laugh today. This year marks it's 20th Anniversary of the first release of this film. But, this blog might tell you why it still going strong and how most people know about this film.

Starring Jim Carrey (Ace Venture and Bruce Almighty) Cameron Diaz (There's Something About Mary and Shrek) and Peter Riegert (Oscar and Local Hero)

First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


You know what, I knew I like it before it even came on. Because, I think I watched this film around 1996 because I watched the TV show The Mask. And, it was just goofy and insane to watch and the animation back then was really stunning (not like today more WOW COLOUR!). I like Jim Carrey from Ace Venture as well so I knew I would enjoy this film. The other actors, back then I didn't really knew who Cameron Diaz was this was my first film I saw her in. So, I was excited mainly! But, before we move on below is the 90s The Mask ever. They did one live action film and that opened the door to the animated series and the animated film. I haven't seen the animated film but the animated series was just amazing growing up as a kid.

After I Watched The Film?


Laughs all round with some serious bits. The Mask is truly one of Jim Carrey's best performances. He is the Mask, and he will always be the Mask. I can't see anyone at all portraying the Mask better than how he portrayed it. If you don't know, he plays a man that really has a rotten time in his life. Then, he stumbles across this wooden mask and in a way looks creepy for the time period it was in. And then.....BOOM....IT'S PARTY TIME.....P....A....R...T...Y? Because, I gotta! I personally think, Jim Carrey's the Mask is just this innocent goofy kid that when your little wanna be and then he is just an old romantic, he has crazy ideas fighting crime and he is abit random. He will have one idea and then jump to another. Personally, this film should be shown to kids today because even thou it's 20 years old! It's still got the great family atmosphere of a film and it's just cute. Plus, this film for me first introduced what a Mafia is. It's a very lighten and lowered form of a Mafia. Yeah, you get the silly ones that don't know what there doing. But, still it's a great film. We have slapstick, comedy, dance numbers, action, adventure, animation, It's overall a great film. Plus, some of the scenes with the dog was actually ab-lipped as well. If you check the IMDB site, they actually give you some random facts, trivia and I didn't know this the credits. Yes, the credits are crazy as well at the end which I never noticed. Come on thou, when I was 5 I watch the film until the last actor is gone! I now know like in The Avengers always a sneak peek into something for the next film. Plus, whilst I was looking at some of the images The Mask costume the orange one. TO ME, reminds me of a smooth Jazz player but then a really bad sketch from an animation show! I think his costumes as well we have to remember are also funny to watch. So, I think the comedy with the costumes and Jim Carrey really makes this film something that you just can't get out of your head!

(Here's some of the funny moment within The Mask


Considering How Well This Movie Has Done, Will They Make Another?


That's the thing there has been a film called 'Son of the Mask' which wasn't really this film. I mean, it has the Mask in it. But, that's the only thing I would compare it too. We have Odin and Loki which to me is just The Avengers this film portrays them as really goofy and ridiculous. But, the Son of the Mask implies sex because the baby is made from the Mask.....I know! But, I like the animation bits in the film and I like how the dad tries to cope with this very insane baby. However, they shouldn't remake the Mask like this. Personally, I dunno. I wouldn't want Jim Carrey to come back because how it ended he got the girl of his dreams. Like the traditional way movies end. But, maybe.....just maybe Cameron Diaz puts on the mask and she goes on this mental shopping spree who knows? I like the creativity of the baby made from the mask that was okay but how it was executed. Like, I know it's a kids film but do we need Greek Mythology to explain that! NO! Maybe, an Exorcist and runs out of the house. I thought the film was too much kiddy, I mean we do need the adults to have fun as well. The Son of the Mask was very lowered down compare to The Mask. The comedy was lacking as well. So, that being said I don't think we will see another Mask because the creativity was lacking and the box office didn't sell that great either.


I don't know if Marvel does have ANYTHING like The Mask. BUT, I found this image below and I think just looking at it makes me go "OMG! THIS COULD HAPPEN!" Because, we can't change the history now but the Mask was made by Loki and it has most of his powers in it. So, what if Loki finds this Mask and joins Thanos or wearing the Mask makes him invincible which from The Mask film technically does. I dunno thou, I still think it would get ruined imagine the Hulk wearing this Mask! Hahaha I can't imagine it. I doubt it very very much thou it just wouldn't make sense and Marvel fans would probably be disappointed at the fact that it's not in the Marvel universe. But, am a Marvel fan I would love to hear Stan Lee say "Let's give it a go true believers" But.....nahhhh I think it would just be funny to watch no matter how gruesome this Mask damage can do. We will think Jim Carrey's goofiness. But, love the artwork of who made this thou.


So, What's The Bottom line?


If you haven't seen it....SEE IT! It's truly one of the best Jim Carrey's comedy films you'll ever see. That's the bottom line.

Tips If Watching The Film?


  1. My only tip, just enjoy this goof ball, looney and utterly ridiculous comedy.
  2. And, compare animation from 1994 to today's films. We very rarely see something like this in today's film industry which is a shame. Because, we remember these kinds of films like The Mask, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Space Jam!. Personally, we need more like these films!

My Rankings


For clear reasons, I give this film a 10 out of 10 I can't fault it. IMDB users gave this a 6.8 which is a good rating I think people lower the ratings because some people don't like Jim Carrey and his goofiness.


Here is the trailer:
Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110475/?ref_=nv_sr_1

One of my favourite one liners from The Mask:

LET'S END ON A SONG!


No comments:

Post a Comment