Friday 18 July 2014

What's The Bottom Line with Halloweentown?

Halloweentown (1998)


Starring Kimberley J. Brown (A Bug's Life and Bringing Down the House), Judith Hoag (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I Am Number Four) and Debbie Reynolds (Singin' In The Rain and Charlotte's Web)

First Impressions Before Seeing This Movie?

I remember the advert for this film on Disney Channel and I just really wanted to watch it. I THINK my Grandma told me about it and it premiers on Friday. I remember Disney Channel always had a new film to watch at 6 o'clock so it's great for after the tea I thought. So, still at this age didn't know actors but I was in love with Disney Channel. Still am, just not the channel just Disney and the old Disney stuff like That's So Raven, Recess the good 90s Disney programmes.


After I watched the film?

This is TRULY one of the best Halloween films to watch with the family. IMDB's storyline says:

"Marnie, Dylan, and Sophie Piper have their first out of many adventures! On Halloween, while Marnie is arguing with her mother Gwen, the kids' grandmother Aggie comes to visit. Aggie wants to start Marnie's witch training before her 13th birthday or Marnie will lose her powers forever. But there is another reason for Aggie's visit. Something dark & evil is growing in Halloweentown & Aggie wants help to defeat it. While Aggie & Gwen are arguing, Aggie uses magic which Marnie observes. After Aggie leaves to return to Halloweentown, Marnie, Dylan and, unknown to Marnie and Dylan, Sophie follow her onto the return bus. Soon afterwards, Gwen follows the children to Halloweentown. While there, Aggie & Gwen are attacked by the dark force in a movie theater. Marnie, Dylan & Sophie race to get the ingredients to activate Merlin's Wand to stop the evil."

Long storyline! But, no spoilers really here this is just the begin. We actually see a lot of comedy in this film and some serious moments and twists within the film that can be hard to demonstrate into a Disney film. All the actors deserve a clap in this film, they made it one to remember this will be my childhood Halloweentown film right next to 'Nightmare Before Christmas'". Reason behind that is because you have Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton so you know it's dark and interesting for a child's imagination. Then, you had Halloweentown a much more realistic feel and some what similarities to what Nightmare Before Christmas Halloweentown looks like. They have there similarities, with villains, comedy, very creative environments but they are both completely different films. 

Is this a film kids would like today?  

YES YES YES. This film would be perfect for kids and family members to watch. Disney's Original film is extremely brilliant to watch. Considering this is what 2 years before Matrix, to my mind this for Disney is quite a detailed storyline, the complex of the whole villain is brilliant. But, the visual effects are truly something to watch considering this is more than 10 years ago. It was like watching a new film, I have NO SHAME putting it on right now and laughing and being inspired for Halloween. 

So, what's the bottom line?

MUST WATCH if your a Disney fan or a Halloween fanatic! That right there, is the bottom line!


Tips if watching the film?

My main tip, make sure you're in the mood for a kids film. Which sounds weird but when I felt like a serious film and I put this on the comedy and the family atmosphere isn't fully there. IT'S THERE! Just want it that much more to enjoy the film as a child's mind would....if that makes sense? 

My rankings

IMDB users rated this a very reasonable 6.7. I however give it a 10/10 because this film was always on at Halloween because of how brilliant and how wonderful this film is for family members. I did thoroughly enjoy the acting and Debbie Reynolds is the perfect 'Grandma' for this film her acting is amazing! And, playing the typical Grandma that I remember it was wondrous and spectacular to watch with my Grandma when I was little.

If you wanna know more about this movie here is the link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173886/

No comments:

Post a Comment