Thursday 17 July 2014

What's the bottom line with Midnight Movie?

Midnight Movie (2008)


Starring Daniel Bonjour (The Back-Up Bride), Rebekah Brandes (Bellflower) and Greg Cirulnick (South Beach)

First Impressions Before Seeing This Movie

I was trying to remember what came out horror wise in 2008. So, here's a link of the best horror movies that came out in 2008 http://www.movieweb.com/movies/2008/horror. So, we have The Strangers, Mirrors, Saw V, Shutter, Pathology, The Eye and so much more. But, not this film. Back in 2008, I watched every horror that came out that year because I was just obsessed with horror films at that point. So, when I saw this out on DVD I was like "oooo this should be awesome". Didn't do any research just went straight home and watched it.

After I watched the film


Am generally shocked at this film, because it was something completely different for 2008 horror films. IMDB storyline for this film is "A midnight showing of an early 1970's horror movie turns to chaos when the Killer from the movie comes out of the film to attack those in the theater." A simple film right? It does have it twists like most horror films. I found the killer, vrey unique compare to what we were working with in 2008. Just from the horror films above, Saw V, Shutter and The Strangers is mainly some form of gore. This film has gore and is a slasher film like Saw V but not much psychological mind and physical games. This film has a decent storyline, the acting is alright considering the names I put in starring above aren't really well known. The killer itself, creatively the costume is amazing! It does the whole fear factor and the IMDB story the 1970s horror movie and it felt like I was watching a very old horror villain that didn't make the big screen. The writer of the film Sean Hood also did Conon the Barbarian (2011) and Halloween: Resurrection (2002). So, I really enjoyed this film with the gore, the killer and the ending was an interesting ending and a good build up as well. It wasn't just kill kill kill, they actually had pauses for the actors to react which is a plus! And, I liked the whole in an old movie theatre lots of television shows have done this where the cinema film project comes alive: Charmed, Simpsons and Family have done this.   


Why has IMDB users rated this film so low?

Here is what I think.....simply because there was no one in this film that was full on famous. It was just a low budget movie and the fact this went straight to DVD from what I understand in the UK. I don't remember it being out in cinemas because when I bought the DVD it came out in Summer. So, horror films weren't in the right budgeting I just think horror films come out near October time for Halloween. But, I generally think that's why I thought it was a simple film but maybe that's why it was rated so low. I enjoyed this horror film. 

So, what's the bottom line?

If you fancy a newish horror film, that you haven't seen and just wanna watch something with a different kind of killer. This is for you. That's the bottom line, simple horror with a paranormal killer.

Tips if watching the film?

Don't do any research or look at the bad reviews. I personally like this film, for being creative and different to compare with what new horror films we have today. 


My rankings 
IMDB users gave this a disappointing 5.1. Because, of the unique killer and the gore from the film I would rank it quite highly at a 8/9 because of it being from 2008. During the time, had a lot of competition with The Strangers, Teeth, Saw V but overall a good horror film.

Here is the IMDB page for more info about the film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0981224/?ref_=nv_sr_1

No comments:

Post a Comment