Wednesday 30 July 2014

What's The Bottom Line with Wicked?


Wicked 


June 10th 2003 was the first performance and I saw it 30th July 2014

Starring Nikki Davis-Jones (Mamma Mia: The Movie) and Emily Tierney (John Carter of Mars)

First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


Well, I knew that it was about the wicked witch of the west called Elphaba and I guess we know about her story and why she is so evil and 'wicked'. Yes, I said the same word as the title so does many other people let's move on. I was thinking of Wizard of Oz and The Great and Powerful Oz the movies and I can see how a musical can happen but the actual people and characters whom of them are in the musical.

After I Watched The Film?


I don't want to say any spoilers. However, we see some of the original characters from The Wizard of Oz not just the Elphaba and Glinda we see more of the original characters with there own back story of how they are in the musical. It's a very great feel good movie I think. That sums it up nicely without any spoilers getting out. Visually it's a stunning piece of art, the costumes are truly inspiring to watch it's like literally walking through the doors of Oz and being welcomed into the kingdom. It's actually a great family musical to watch as well. I thought the storyline was excellent and all the songs are truly different to watch and listen too. I have the playlist on my Spotify and I watched it today! It's truly addictive. One of my friends said and I quote "I have seen this 9 times" and I was like....really? AND, I can see why. It' brings the old Wizard of Oz to a new light. The full title is Wicked: The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz. Hooked. It's showing a different side of the wicked witch and the good witch of the north. Madame Morrible and The Wizard was truly a great combination to watch on stage, Dale Rapley who played the wizard was utterly brilliant! He reminded me of a Billy Flynn from Chicago, he was a show man! He was a fraud and a 'wicked' man too. Miadam Morrible played by Marilyn Cutts and she actually played Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd that gives you some idea of her character with her singing. But, collective it's an inspiring visual spectatuclar and even made the head of Oz something to watch with special effects involve. Making Oz, magical and a spec of fantastic scenery. I did feel some of the scenery was quite clockwork and vintage from the look of the background which worked well for some specific scenes I did feel I was in an old ancient time with a great modern personalities. This has been going as well since 2003! So, for 11 years it's still going strong and I can see why. Music beautifully written and great performers! PLUS, there's puppets in this musical too! The cub and the head of Oz. Which I say check out some of the interviews of how they made certain stuff in this production it truly is interesting if you like the "how did they do that" to see the end result.


Is it like the Great and Powerful Oz?

No, it's completely completely different and if you're into your musicals this is a defo MUST SEE. It's a very modern musical with great singers and performers with passionate dancers. I did see a touring group thou, but I did feel the magic was still there. I will say thou, the villains is not what you think AND there is a lot of emerald or in plain sight GREEN!

So, What's The Bottom line?


Bottom Line? Check out when Wicked is near you because it truly is a must see to watch on stage. And, I rarely recommend stage productions but this musical should be added to your knowledge of musicals and it's generally a great watching performance. From the words of the great and powerful Oz.......this is WONDERFUL. Sorry, my favourite song haha! It is truly wonderful thou. A GREAT musical to see that should be all the bottom line bottomliners.


Tips If Watching The Film?



  1. If you like costume design, this is great to get ideas
  2. If your new to theatre, get exposed with some special effects here
  3. Really look at the cast list ..... 
  4. Plus, the spoilers I WON'T mention it's great to watch we see three key characters from Wizard of Oz and how they are there really. 
  5. Once you've seen it, go on YouTube and check out some interviews on how they made some of the special effects, cast members, directors etc just to get more of what you paid for. 

My Rankings


Well, they say it's the most popular musical this year. And, it is! I rate this top dollar 10 out of 10 because it's well worth seeing.



Here's a trailer for this amazing musical enjoy and hope you see it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment