Monday 13 October 2014

What's The Bottom Line presents TV Show Gotham

Gotham (2014-)


Starring Ben McKenzie (The O.C. and Batman Year One), Donal Logue (Blade and Zodiac) and David Mazouz (Touch and The Game Maker)


Introduction


I decided to do a blog on the premier of Gotham, because it's fresh in my mind and I literally just watched it. It's something that is refreshing to see in the Batman universe, but as well it's not the hero you're expecting. This blog is going to look at my first impressions of Gotham, to what they are, and what we are expecting later on in the series. Hold on Batfreaks, because am telling you this TV Series in the UK will be a hit for those DC Heroes fans.

First Impressions Before Seeing The Premier?


I was actually expecting something involving Batman or Bruce Wayne, all I knew about this TV Series because when it's new I don't research so am surprised because when you dig, you find out who will be in what series. But, am curious about Gotham because I want to know how they are portraying certain characters. Because, you have to remember the Batman we know as Bruce Wayne taking over the company is in his 30s/40s whatever, and I believe from what little I seen we see Bruce Wayne as a child.....So, how will villains be portrayed. Being a Batman fan, all I knew before Batman arrived Gotham City wasn't the nicest place to live, but was it ever?

After I Watched The First Episode?


It's opened my mind and it's actually refreshed what Gotham City means to me, not just Batman but the whole concept. I like the fact we see Commissar Gordon or at this time he just came to Gotham City. We actually get to know ALOT of characters in just the first episode, so am going to do a completely different paragraph what you be expecting if you want that little surprise. But, the episode I thought at the beginning "Oh really? Start like that!". But, as the episode went on and on and a good 14 minutes into the episode, I was hooked. There's no capes, no crusaders, it's simple cop(s) trying to capture a bad guy.....All that in one hour? Ohhhh no, there's lots and lots more but am not a spoiler. It was refreshing to see Batman in a newer light, not Batman himself, more the Batman universe. We understand more about the police force, the crime, but more importantly I FEEL when you first see that character, or you first see that someone who might be a villian. I was just like "Oh that's blah blah" and I was right. So, for the casting part of Gotham was done perfectly, I knew straight away who was who without hearing a name. And, I didn't do any research or any IMDB who plays who. And, I have to give credit the ageing of the villains was perfect as well. You have to think if Bruce Wayne is a child, the villains he encounters as we know from the trailers Penguin, the Batman/Bruce Wayne in his 40s or 30s, Penguin is 50/60 years old, so it's nice that the writers took into consideration how old certain villains would be. But, I think this TV series will give you a roller-coaster of a ride! AND, the fact we see Barbara Gordon, who I personally don't know much about. No film or TV Show I have watched looks into the character of Barbara Gordon. All I know from the DC Heroes is that Barbara and James Gordon have a daughter that will be Batgirl aka Commissar Gordon (It's in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker). But, I am surprised and excited about this series because it's recaptured the city of Gotham but added a punch of nutjobs.

SPOILER PARAGRAPH: So, we get to see Bruce Wayne and the origins of that, but we see Commisor James Gordon and his partner Harvey Bullock. But, you want to know villians am guessing? WELL, we get to see Oswald Copperpot, Fish Mooney, Edward Nygma. But, one true favourite of mine so far is Oswald Copperpot by far. But, you do see a faithful bulter Alfred before the ages.


What Are We Expecting?


From what I've seen in just one episode, I can see it getting messy for James Gordon, but am really excited to see how these villains come together and how they come out of there shell more. I don't want to say too much into this question. But, I would say you won't see The Joker, and for a lot of people...that could be disappointing but The Joker is number one BATMAN villain....Not, number one Gotham Origins villain. The Joker from what I remember was the new villain to face Batman. So, it's nice and refreshing to see older villains being portrayed differently but you know straight away who they are when you see them. I am hoping, really hoping to see a lot of dirty cops because Gotham back then had tons! I only have glimpses of it and I want MORE! I really, just want to sit back and relax and see James Gordon clean up the city. WELL, try to anyway. Because, from Batman itself we know James Gordon does a pretty good job because one day he becomes Commissar. But, I think, THINK, that we will see that battle of becoming Commissar. I would like to see the Penguin come out more, because of what happened it's sad because as Batman fans you know for a fact who's gonna live and who's gonna die. I mean we know for FACT, the kid Bruce Wayne, Alfred, James Gordon, Barbara Gordon and others....see what I did there haha and others will survive because we have seen them. UNLESS, they could be REALLY REALLY clever and do a whole copy cat rubbish, but we won't like that. I love the fact straight away we know who's who because our minds can wonder and think about what's going to happen. But, if you don't know the Penguin's origins, then there's actually a few and the way they are doing this, I can see a really exciting and chaotic way of doing it. But, I don't think they are, it's actually quite dark! Like Batman, which I like but it has the balance of James Gordon just being that honest police chief we love!



Tips If Watching The TV Show?


  1. Remember DC Universe, Batman's hometown, straight away I knew who was the first person I saw. SO, watch everyone, try and figure out who's who before a name is spoken, I got 9 out of 10. I got one wrong and that's Fish Mooney because I haven't experienced this villain. So, try and figure out who's who. 
  2. Don't guess, this may sound confusing, but try and not figure out or research Barbara Gordon. I know that sounds weird, just don't look into her character. I haven't and what happend in the first episode you be like "Wait....what?" I want it to be a surprise and I think unless you know every single DC Heroes character you won't know something about Barbara Gordon.
  3. When the first episode ended, I could see what could happen next, I can see who there focus is on and I can see where the next lot of friendships will lie, see if you can figure out. 
  4. I actually quite liked the costumes in the TV series, everyone has something slightly different about themselves which makes each character unique, and you know so much about someone's look and position in Gotham as well.  
  5. My final tip which is what am trying to learn, basically forget who lives and dies, simply because I want that thrill factor of Gotham but since we know who's basically gonna live it kills the joy a little bit and the suspense for me personally. 




My Rankings

Considering it's the first episode, I think nothing dragged because you get a sense of who's who and the fact it did have that investigation and mystery about what is Gotham City, it also had fantastic villains, scenery beautiful and it looks like you're watching a DC Movie, they worked so hard to create the script, get the correct actors and try and make it feel like there's no Batman, but there's still a Gotham. So, that being said I would say 10 out of 10, my next favourite TV Show.


So, What's The Bottom Line?


Before there was the light from Batman, someone had to change the bulb, if you want to see the police force of Gotham City take on the villains and psychos be my guest. If you want to see Bruce Wayne, you can still see him just not what you might be expecting. If you want Bruce Wayne to be Batman....might be a wait, don't expect Batman that's my bottom line, expect you're next hero....Not Robin....James Gordon. And, that's the bottom line. 


Here is the trailer of Gotham:


Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3749900/?ref_=tt_ov_inf

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group, Just Click On The Link Below:https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment