Wednesday 10 December 2014

What's The Bottom Line with artist Andrew Cota?

Andrew Cota

Introduction

That's The Bottom Line will be looking at Andrew Cota, a inspiring artist, that likes the fact that he doesn't do his art for money, but for the passion he has for his artwork. This blog is very special, because we have an exclusive question and answers, and also we have some exclusive images of his own artwork and what That's The Bottom Line thinks of Andrew Cota's artwork.

Question and Answer Session! 

Question 1) Good evening, Andrew Cota, thank you for taking this time to do this question and answer session, tell me do you define yourself as an artist?

Answer 1) I do not define myself as an artist. I'm just a guy who picks up, and puts down hobbies. I don't believe I've created anything to earn the title as an artist.


Question 2) What do you define as art? What piece of art or work do you like looking at? Whether it be film or video game?

Answer 2) Something I think that is perfect. When I was a boy in the second grade a artist came to the classroom, and asked me to scribble on the chalk board. I went nuts on this chalkboard, and he created three dolphins just by connecting the lines in my scribbling. I've also loved the sport of bodybuilding. Men taking years, and years to perfect their body to be perfect. To look like a god out of Greek mythology. I would have to say movies would be what I would love to look at. An artist created the background you see. The puppet running around. It's a 4 foot tall hunter killer tank somebody built for Terminator 2. There is so much artistic talent, and history in movies that people don't realise.


Question 3) How long have you been doing your artwork? And, what made you begin drawing?

Answer 3) I've started drawing since I was in Kindergarten (5 years old). I remember my dad going to my class with me, and he painted the bowl of fruit on the table, and it looked great. I wanted to be just like my dad. I wanted to draw, I wanted to be smart, and I wanted to be strong. So I always worked out, and drew. So to answer your question off, and on for 20 years.


Question 4) What started you, drawing, creating these pieces of art work?

Answer 4) In middle school I had this teacher Mr. Robinson. He was an art teacher, and we collided from day one. He always made the class draw this lady in a poster. He never let us draw anything other than this lady. So me not knowing how to draw a portrait. I just stopped. I took a failing grade, and he once came to me, and said "You will never be able to draw." So I started drawing in every class not paying attention to the real lesson. At the end of the next school year I've had a binder full of drawing. Super heroes, kids in class, birds outside, everything. I gave this to him at the end of the school year, and walked away. I never talked to him, or have seen him again. I've lost touched with all art, but I still return to it once in a great while.


Question 5) Where do you see you're artwork in 5 years?

Answer 5) Where do I see my artwork in 5 years? Probably in a burn basket. I don't see the perfection in anything. I always see negatives, and problems. That's why I do not sell work.


Question 6) Do you have any advice for any inspiring artist out there?

Answer 6)  My advice? Do not listen to negative talk. Especially from friends, or parents. The closest people to you could be the ones who stop you from being great. Also just keep practicing. It might look like a scribble, and a mess but one day you may be like that artist that came to my class that took a mess, and made a masterpiece who didn't care it was erased.


Question 7) Is there any art work that you want to challenge yourself doing?

Answer 7)  I would really like to get back into Graffiti, and take up that challenge. As a young teenager, I did Graffiti and was terrible. I loved the art work, the lettering, and the colors. It's such a beautiful thing. I think that would be my perfect challenge.

Question 8) I notice you did a bomb shell out of an old sprayed paint can...Do you want to explore more 3D art work then 2D? 

Answer 8) The only 3D art I would like to do is something you can pick up, and touch in 3D as well. I've seen some great 3D drawings, but that's not for me. I want people to see it, pick it up, explore it from all angles, and even be on camera in a film, or a photograph.


Question 9) What kind of inspiration do you get, when you have the need to do some form of art work?

Answer 9)  My inspiration always comes from movies. I want to create something that can be enjoyed like a movie monster or a alien. I'll see a trailer or I'm watching an old movie I love. I've drawn the Predator easily five times, just because I watched it, and want to make him a little different this time around.

Question 10) We had a chat before, that you don't have any art certificates or degrees, does that intimidate you when posting your artwork or does that give you more passion to carry on with what you're passionately good at?

Answer 10)  I don't feel intimidated at all. I know there are people with art degrees that are worse than me, and better. I know people who will never step foot in a school, and can out do me in all aspects of art. I feel as if every one can bring something to the table, and if everybody checked their egos. People would get a masterpiece if everybody worked together.


Question 11) You gave advice to the inspiring artists, but what would you say to a non-artist if you had the chance. Sending them one life message that you have learn't from experiences?

Answer 11)  A life message? Maybe just be happy. If somebody hates you, or beats you. You always have a grin. They hate that. Had a bad day at work? Oh well, life happens. A magic fairy wont come down to make it any better. Just do your best, and be happy. Don't let anything beat you down, especially yourself.


Question 12) Finally, do you have other passions then art?

Answer 12)  I do have other passions. I am thrilled in WWII History, and Vietnam War History as my Grandfather fought in WWII, and my dad fought in Vietnam. So I love to read on the history, and just become more educated in the conflicts. My other passion is movies. I lost count at 2,00 some odd VHS tapes, and that wasn't all of them. Then I have laserdiscs, DVD, and Blurays. So I'm bit a film nut. I wanted to try my hand at acting, but in my town it just isn't going to happen. I have done a couple of commercials, but nothing to brag about. Maybe one day just make my own short films with friends, and make my own props for the films.

Artwork

Introduction

This section we will be looking at all of Andrew Cota's artwork and seeing from an outside point of view what we see, we know from the question and answer's that he does these art pieces, because it's purely for his passion to draw. It's not for anyone, but himself. And, for him to have this feature on That's The Bottom Line shows us all that you don't need fancy degrees or certificates to draw. If you give the patience, that key creative eye you can become whoever you want to be.



Predator

Before I say anything, I love the fact Andrew Cota understands that he doesn't have to use colour in a drawing. It's something that either looks fantastic in a drawing or lacks or deflates the image itself. But, I love the black and white effect, I am a huge Predator and AVP fan. And, seeing Predator like this is spot on. The helmet, the hair, the weaponry is so detailed and simple it's perfect for any Predator fan. I like the fact we have that shading of one side mainly black and the other light, as the Predator would be. We only see half the Predator when the creature is stalking his/her prey. But, I like this picture the most because the level of detail in shading to get that right element and balance can be tricky, and it looks quite professional as well. 




The Joker from DC Heroes Batman

Now, if you don't recognize this image you're either really young or you lived under a rock in the 80s. This is the original Joker before the animated series, and it's from Batman, where Adam West played Batman. And, even know it's a bit before my time television programmes played the old school Batman. So, that being said I back up this drawing because it's spot on. Again, no colour and I think that's how it should stay. We recognize the Joker more from the Arkham Asylum games, The Dark Knight, the comics and the Batman film directed by Tim Burton. I recognize this Joker from the TV series and one of the facts I like about the Joker not being coloured because it's too simple. Keeping it black and white you capture the character and the personality of a crazy psychopath. The eyes, spot on. And, for me as a artist eyes for me is the hardest to draw and Andrew Cota did this spot on. As well, the hair is quirky and again the level of shading is spot on, not ruining the image and not lacking the picture, it heightens the picture to give the presence of the Joker.


Terminator

Considering the next film is coming out next year, I was looking into the Terminator again and I got a picture of what they look like. Andrew Cota deserves a pat on the back to capture every little detail of the Terminator. The eyes again are spot on, the level of detail of making it look robotic, but at the same time cyborg is quite intense. Plus, the teeth are fantastic, it's not to wonky, not to smudged. The drawing isn't as shaded which is fantastic for me to see because of how we see the Terminator. Yes, it's a dark character from the future but the whole body is silver. So, considering that, Andrew I believe went into detail of giving it the right level of shading to give over that fear and evil character that we see in the Terminator. 

STAR WARS Collide 

I am a huge Star Wars fan, and Andrwe Cota did something different. Yes, he got the traditional characters of Darth Vader, Yoda, Princess Leila, Ewok, Stormstroopers, C3PO nad R2D2. But, we also see the more unknown characters in the films that unless we really look into detail of the Star Wars universe you wouldn't know who they were. Considering, Star Wars as we all know is in space and that's dark, Andrew Cota, used the black background and then clear sketches to truly make an incredibe collide of Star Wars characters in one space. 



Storm Troopers Meets Aliens and Predators

This is awesome! Star Wars meets Aliens meets Predators! It's one of those things, you think it couldn't happen. Then, a moment later it could actually be an awesome film! The Storm trooper is nicely detailed with that bit of shading to give the position of them. The Alien is FANTASTIC! You know straight away what it is, the tongue is quite nice, not too long or short, Andrew Cota understood what is an Alien than making it look ridiculous, looking quite fearsome. Then, having the helmet of a Predator over powering the Storm Trooper and Alien is astonishing, very creative, thought out side the box and truly is something to look at. I would happily have this on my wall. 


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

It's simple and to the point, and I think Andrew Cota even thou he doesn't address himself as an artist, I will happily call him a creative designer and maker because he truly understands his boundaries and he pushes them. The teenage mutant ninja turtles is fabulous. We see all our little teenage mutant ninja turtles. My only advice, I would like to see Splinter, or have a huge poster of different characters as one. Combinding different genres like Star Wars, Aliens and Predator. Maybe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers and Big Bad Beetleborgs. And, if you ask why Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers they actually did a cross over....Don't believe me look it up! Anywho! Andrew Cota considering he does this as a hobby, with some patience, some kick up the butt I think he could sell them as simple sketches but quite detailed. 

WWII Bomb

Now, first look you're thinking what on Earth is this?!?! Well, it's a WWII Bomb as we know that's one of the passions that Andrew Cota has. But, this is made from just a spray paint can.....this is why I called Andrew Cota a designer and maker, because he has that eye of making ordinary items into pieces of art. But, clearly we will see something of Andrew Cota because I haven't seen many artist use this technique....I haven't seen a WWII bomb used from a spray paint can and I think some artist need to break that one dimension box and break into being more creative. 

So, What's The Bottom Line?

Andrew Cota is one of those artist that makes you feel comfortable. But, I do believe he has some tough decisions ahead, yes he does it for himself. However, my bottom line would be that giving the time, what he can accomplish and his ideas of art and hobbies he can merge them and feel so passionately about his work, he could potentially sell them. However, that's the thing I love about Andrew Cota.....his artwork his for himself and no one else....think about that. This is a true artist/creator that doesn't believe in doing something for money, but for himself....and that's why you should follow him on Instagram (http://instagram.com/ajcota/) and that's why we should truly give Andrew Cota the acknowledgement that he deserves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment