Sunday 18 January 2015

What's The Bottom Line with American Horror Story?

American Horror Story (2011-)

Introduction

Let me tell you a story, well not just one story, a couple of stories that made me open my mind on the actual concept of horror and entertainment. This is American Horror Story and listen to there stories. I am going to talk about each season so far, and what we are to be expecting later on. And, there's a really interesting theory that they are all connected? I have seen this at first glance, and understand how and where the American Horror Story is lined up, but what does it mean? Listen, look and explore into this TV series because you might not come out the same, as you went in.
 

First Impressions Before Seeing The First Series?

Before I go into American Horror Story, I do like to point out I've been put off by it since it came out. And, here's why! I don't like TV shows looking into horror. I feel as a viewer and as a entertaining performer that Horror should stick with movies only because that's how I was brought up. I dunno why, but the closest before American Horror Story of having captured the horror I like was Goosebumps.....and that's for kids. SO, maybe that's why. BUT, what does American Horror Story mean? I had no idea they did more seasons one of my friends recommend me to watch it because I'll love it. BUT, at that time I was watching Breaking Bad....so there's my reason and then Game of Thrones and I was at University. SO, last year in September I started Freakshow....and I was blown away by the level of actors, mainly Kathy Bates. Kathy Bates is an amazing role model and the first episode I WAS HOOKED! But, I needed to see the first season. Didn't do any research and am glad I didn't.

 

After I Watched The First Season Murder House?

Honestly, after I watched Murder House I went straight to Season 2 it was so good. I was thinking like "Oh, this isn't going to happen" or "Oh, that's too clear what's going to happen". But, it wasn't like that at all. You can never guess really what truly happens in this season. The ending to the season was spot on, the actors are brilliant! I have a little tiny place in my heart for this season because so far it's the more realistic.....And, what I mean by that is that they took a normal looking family and turned them into what we see in the end. And, that's no where near a spoiler, we see unusual characters like a maid that has like two completely different looks, which confuses us and wonders and always let us wonder. But, we have to admit that this Season was all about the "Wait, what?!? Who?!?!"and then it hits you with the "OMG! THAT HAPPENED". It really surprises you, and the maid is like a dot of all the complicated lives this family has to go through.
 

What About Season 2 Asylum? Was It Similar To Murder House?!?

Season 2 before I was going in, I actually had to remember that an Asylum could go two ways, written beautifully and not pushing the boundaries to far it makes people uncomfortable. But, the other way they write it insensitive to the matter of what really happened in Asylums especially in a religious environment. I think.....they written this season beautifully, they had so much going on you can keep up with it and you'll fall in love with it. It wasn't similar to Murder House at all, we had the similar cast! BUT, the twist and turns were still there and kept you guessing and wondering which for me as a viewer is what you want. You don't want Marvel Agent of Shields and get bored of Season 2...wait that happened! You want a Season completely different!!! We have a doctor, a superior nun, a nun, and then a bunch of patients that have been admitted into the Asylum. But, I think the best part of Asylum was combining different stories together and seeing different scenarios. HOWEVER, the ending was truly the best... I had to have a good hour to settle in what happened because it was perfect. And, I felt they hit the level of appropriate attitude to an Asylum with having quite accurate circumstances and knowledge to what and how an Asylum would be run. I felt I was in Shawshank Redemption ran by several devils because there is in this season. All I'll say is, everyone's a suspect, which when in Asylum you can see that! But, watch it and you'll see why.... I felt there was only a couple of what I would define 'normal' people that we would address as normal. Then, when it finished I believed there's no such thing as normal it's just a drug we have to admit when we feel we need to accept ourselves in a community....which leads me to my next season.

There's Season 3 called Coven, How Was That? Is It Still Interesting?

 
Am really disappointed that I can't tell you how I thought about the ending, because I haven't seen it. HOWEVER, I have seen half of the season....and.... it's still kept with that level of brilliance and it's still interesting. I mean, it's the first appearance of Kathy Bates, we see Emma Roberts, and off course the more well known American Horror Story actors/actresses. But, what is a Coven? Most people don't really understand what they are. And, I love the fact Season 3 is utterly and completely different to the other seasons because when you think about it that's a challenge in it's own rights. You have to think, they have to write a completely new season with new angles, new twist and turns, new lovers! I mean, yes and no to the lovers because of what I've seen in Season 3 BUT Season 4 explains better what I mean. This is mostly about witches and also slaves around in another time period...how's that linked you'll find out. But, I love the concept of how magic is in this season. I love the level of knowledge the writers go into and the fact we don't see "magical colours" it's keeping with the whole horror concept. 
 

My Favourite Season 4 Freakshow.....Do They Still Shock Us? Surprise Us And, More Importantly Entertain Us?

 I love Freakshows in general because it goes away from what we as a community confirms as the 'norm' but I was expecting clowns, firebreathers and the level of knowledge of what is generally in a Freakshow the writers got in spot on. We see the strong man, claw boy, bearded lady, pinheads, all sorts of different characters and the typical 'ringmaster' is very different from what we class. But, is there a clown? Well, yes and no you'll have to wait and see. However, I feel this Season has surprised me the most because of the characters that come to the freakshow and what stories unfold at the freakshow too. It's entertaining and thrilling but I do and don't see the concept of horror....I feel more involved in this Season then the others because it's more entertaining for me as a viewer because of something....I have seen before but not behind the scenes.
 
 

What Else Could American Horror Story Do? How Far Can It Go? 

 You know what, I don't even know anymore what to expect! But, I saw this on a google image and off course it's appearing like a harvest farm....and there's been those urban legends of Scarecrows being alive.....So, could be something around that area! However, you're probably thinking aliens? Maybe, but one of the seasons look into that concept...but apparently all the seasons are connected in some way. But, let's go back to the idea of what we could see next? Well, farmhouse and a living scarecrow would be great. Ermm, we have had witches, freakshows, an asylum and off course a haunted house. Without doing any research but from my own brain....MAYBE....a toy shop. Now, you're probably thinking what's scary about that? There's puppets, could be a vintage toy shop. So, we could see some form of possession from puppets being one element, could have toys being alive and depending on the brand depends on how the toy reacts. For example, if you know the Puppet Master series it's possible, Child's Play comedy right up the way of American Horror Story. Another, which I don't think many people might think about is, classic horror characters. We could see the mermaids in a different way, maybe there all on an island? That's an idea, maybe an isolated island with different kinds of mythical creatures (off course thriller and horror related) and the gag is that it's a TV reality show. I just feel American Horror Story, the writing and script is there and I can see it going for 10 seasons! They think of different things, different environments and characters every time.


Facts About The TV Series?

  1. On September 2nd, 2014, Ryan Murphy (co-creator) announced that "All the seasons are connected to each other in somehow, someway."
  2. Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Frances Conroy, Lily Rabe and Evan Peters are the only actors who appear in all four seasons.
  3. Emma Roberts and Evan  who have each played major roles in multiple seasons of American Horror Story, share more than just a professional relationship. They began dating in 2012, and on January 6th, 2014, it was officially confirmed by 'People Magazine [us]' that the couple had gotten engaged over the holidays. No specific plans regarding the wedding or when it may take place have been released.
  4. Actor Ben Wolf who plays meep in season 4 also appeared as the Infintata in season 1.
  5. Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange previously starred together in Bonneville.
  6. Within the season "Freak Show", the character Twisty the Clown was disliked by the National Clown Association of America for his inaccurate portrayal of clowns, and because he gave clowns a bad reputation.
  7. Jessica Lange originally turned down the role of Constance in season 1, but finally accepted after creator Ryan Murphy repeatedly offered her the role.
  8. Evan Peters plays Jimmy Darling in AHS: Freakshow. His character is based off the real life lobster boy.
  9. In season 4 (Freak Show), characters sing songs that were released after 1952 (the time period in which Freak a show takes place). Most of the fans thought it was stupid and uncalled for, but there is a deep and unique reason to this idea. Ryan Murphy has said in an interview that he picked songs that were made by artists who were known as or called themselves freaks. For example: David Bowie, Lana Del Rey, Nirvana, etc.
  10. The 'murder house' featured in the series is in fact called Rosenheim Mansion. It was also used as the Frat House location on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)'s Halloween special "Fear, Itself", in which the characters fears manifest themselves.

Is There A Link To All These Series?!?

In a word......YES!. All the seasons are connected and Freakshow actually opened up how they are all connected with two characters. But, why?!?! We don't know this for sure but Ryan Murphy did say that they are all connected and that Freakshow is the beginning of showing us how they are all connected. If you want to know clues? One of these clues is the scene where the character Maggie (Emma Roberts) is handed a coffee cup and there is a close up on a top hat, which the show creator confirmed is actually a clue for Season 5. Start your guessing now because honestly, no one can guess accurately how they are all connected and there's apparently a reason why the cast are the same! We don't want to say how they are connected because of the fact we don't know where the fans are at with the seasons. We are half way through Coven but understand the fantastic concept, but we are up to date with Freakshow. All we can say in That's The Bottom Line is pay close attention.
 
 

My Rankings

 In all seriousness, we will be giving this a 9 out of 10, season 1 is remarkable it sets up the rest of the seasons, season 3 coven it's brilliant so far and here we are looking forward to the ending. Freakshow is just beautiful, historically accurate and off course the thriller, horror and drama is so entertaining and hypnotic that you do forget you're watching a horror spectacular but a fantastic piece of acting. The main reason it's not 10 out of 10, is one of the episodes in Season 2 Asylum, I have to admit I love Asylum, but one or two episodes just dragged out and that's the main reason. 


  

So, What's The Bottom Line?


So, what's the bottom line? Honestly, if you haven't seen it we can actually understand why. Even, we felt a bit unsure about the series because it's something completely different that we haven't experienced for years as horror fans! So, bottom line is if you love your horrors or thrillers and you're not sure on the blood and gore this is perfect for you. The gore and blood factor is so minimal that the actually entertaining part is the characters.  

Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1844624/

Check Out That's The Bottom Line's Facebook Page Here

No comments:

Post a Comment