Monday 6 October 2014

What's The Bottom Line with The Truth About Emanuel?

The Truth About Emanuel (2013)


Starring Kaya Scodelario (Clash of the Titans and Maze Runner) Jessica Biel (The Illusionist and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and Alfred Molina (Spider-Man 2 and Raiders of the Lost Ark)



First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


All honesty now, my first impressions were completely different to my actual reactions to the film. I thought something was up with this person Emanuel, and that she is some form of serial killer and this new neighbour finds out so Emanuel kidnaps her in her basement and has this warped tea party session. I dunno! It's a psychological, drama and thriller. I am surprised that Kaya Scodelario is in it, and looking forward to see what she brings to The Truth About Emanuel. And, I quite like Alfred Molina who plays Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2 and I like Jessica Biel because she was incredibly good in the horror film The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So, was looking forward to see what unfolds before me.

After I Watched The Film?



Thriller not so much it's more psychological drama, the little things made me wonder about Emanuel and this new neighbour and I instantly saw where it could be going and what could be wrong, I was right but shocked at how soon it acquired. I felt a mixture of emotions and different feelings with each character I saw, there are loads of psychological moments which for me wanted to understand but can't until the end, I couldn't link them throughout the film I had to wait till it was finished. But, as the film went on I saw LOADS of different ways this film could finish and I was quite hooked to see what could happened, it's interesting because you don't see a psychological villain in this film which is what I was expecting. Less than an hour to go till the film finished, I wanted creepier but I have to admit the film has something I haven't seen in a thriller, drama with so much psychological problems and that's the realism. I think once the film started, the layers started and it builds and builds and the ending the building has so much psychological layers and problems that it will collapse but on who? Emanuel? It's very near the end, and so much happens in such a short period of time. I still couldn't see what could happen in the end.....Which for me is weird, because since it's quite a basic film I just couldn't strike it. I do have one in mind, which would blow everyone's mind but I don't think it would go in that direction sadly. Damn. I felt the only creepy element was the music, I love music in films because it heightens the suspense and thriller that is suppose to be there. I have to admit thou, the ending I didn't see coming, it was weird. Point blank weird. I think the transition in a certain scene shows us a lot more than we actually expected. It's actually quite a powerful and beautiful film. It's not a psychological thriller, it's more a psychological drama. 

What Makes This Film Worth Watching?


I personally think because it's not you're typical Thriller, it's more complicated, it's more intense and it's really realistic when we watch it for the first time. There's the fact that IMDB says that Emanuel gets this new neighbour that resembles her dead mother.....But, it's more than that, you can't sum up this film that quickly. It's just nope. It has that element but as I said before there's layers until it collapses. And, it's actually quite weird the transition of dreams and reality that when you see it, you know it. Plus, I feel it's not like many films I've seen so it's refreshing to see different angles in films because eventually when there's no more original ideas we will get bored of seeing the same old thing. 


So, What's The Bottom Line?


Secrets. We all have them. Can be chaotic to hold them, or easy to keep. We forget the dreams we have that hold our deepest secrets. Yet, our secrets can become reality and can be a burden. So, really, we forget the secret is a secret and that's the bottom line.


My Rankings


I think IMDB users overall gave this a 6 out of 10 because I don't think people captured what this film is about. To me okay, it was suppose to be a horror film, but it's much more than that. I get the sense of this could actually happen and it has happened, which for me is refreshing in a  film because we become aware of psychological problems in our society. So, that in mind I would give this a 8 out of 10, it did lack that creepy feel which I feel it needed. Could go completely chaotic and psycho, but the balance of realism was there which in the end is what viewers want. 


Here is the trailer:


Here is the IMDB pagehttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt1838520/

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group, Just Click On The Link Below: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment