Saturday 11 October 2014

What's The Bottom Line special Super Saturdays presents Zoom


presents


Zoom (2006)

Starring Tim Allen (Home Improvement and The Santa Clause), Courteney Cox (Friends TV Show and Ace Venture: Pet Detective) and Chevy Chase (Caddyshack and Christmas Vacation)


Introduction


Welcome true believers in another Super Saturday, I thought I pick a film that not many superhero fans would actually know about. It's called "Zoom". It's not you're typical super hero movie, when you see the superheroes kick butt, beat up a lot of bad guys and get the girl. It's similar to a film called "Sky High". But, it's truly a great super hero film to start younger generations with because it's not too violent like Batman, Superman etc it has that comedy element for children and introduces them comfortably with the film base of superheroes. 


First Impressions Before Seeing The Film?


I didn't do much research into this film, all I knew was Tim Allen was in it. And, personally I can't see Tim Allen being in any super hero film. To me, he is always Tim the Toolman Tailor! or Santa Claus, I never imagined him taking up the level of being an action packed Superhero. Other people I notice in this film thou were, Spencer Breslin who has appeared in a Disney film called 'The Kid' and The Cat in the Hat is where I know this actor from. So, it's nice seeing actors coming together I know from other films that I have seen as a child. Another actor, Rip Thorn who Sci-Fi fans know him mainly from Men in Black films as "Z". So, It's a nice surprise seeing actors going into different genres of films, for example I know Simon Pegg's latest film he is doing a drama and not a comedy film, which will be interesting seeing him break out of his comfort zone. I don't really know what to expect from a film I knew nothing about, I guess Tim Allen was going to train these super kids to fight someone. I did say it's not you're typical super hero film so it needs to be aimed at kids more so, I guessed that being said.....Tim Allen might not have super powers OR he is recruiting a team together.

After I Watched The Film?


I was kind of right, Tim Allen basically plays a trainer of Super Heroes and these kids have super powers and are classed as out casts. BUT, it's slightly more than that. We actually see people come together with uniqueness and the fact Tim Allen plays this serious character at the beginning, it slowly unfolds into this really heart warming and fun loving person. The kids who are in this film playing the super heroes are Spencer Breslin who plays Mega-Boy, Kevin Zegers who plays Concussion, Kate Mara who plays Wonder and then Ryan Newman who plays Princess.....yeah we are going to stick with that Super Hero name....It's actually really funny film which I didn't expect, I was expecting like a Superman lower level film but it's not. The comedy element alone is just hilarious, you get your drama romantic scenes as well but not too much you're bombarded with them. And, the action and comedy elements is a great balance for a kids film I believe. Considering this did get quite a low rating at the box office, I can see many reasons why it won't appeal to everyone, but I do believe it's a great watch-able film. I will say thou, for a 2006 film the special effects team really tried there best to create these superheroes and getting the correct environment to shoot the film but also have the right attitude and Tim Allen being mainly in kids films, is perfect to play Captain Zoom.

What Made This Film Stand Out To Me?


In all honesty, I would say it's because the super heroes are kids....I know that sounds daft. But, think about we don't have many films even today where a kid has super heroes. And, Spider Man or Amazing Spider Man doesn't count because they look 25 to 30. Am talking about kids like 8 to 18 with super powers.... Right? There isn't any films out from 2010 to 2014 where a kid has super powers with a family friendly atmosphere, I say that because of Carrie. But, you just don't see it, and I think considering we have these films at 12A, why not make a film purely where the kids are super heroes. This is actually the closest super hero film that's watch-able for adults and kids (more kids) with that comedy element and a family atmospheric feel to it.

Random Facts About The Film


  1. I found this just weird, the DVD cover shows Zoom (Tim Allen's character) clean shaven, but throughout the whole film he is shown with a mustache and goatee. 
  2. In the only photo of the old Zenith team (Zoom's old team) with Tim Allen (Zoom), and Kevin Zeger (Concussion). The other team mates were portrayed by Alexis Bledel (Ace), Wilmer Valderrama (Markman) and Devon Aoki (Daravia). 
  3. The film's release was delayed due to a lawsuit filed by Fox and Marvel Comics. Zoom was initaially intended to be released on May 12th, two weeks before X-Men: The Last Stand, but it was alleged that the script for Zoom was too similar to the X-Men Movie franchise and would "confuse" viewers. 
  4. The film was show in only three places Hamiliton, Ontario and Canada.
  5. As of June 2014, the film had received 2 positive reviews out of 61 for a %3 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 


My Rankings


Considering what you just hear about 2 positive reviews out of 61 and IMDB users all together rated this film at 4.1, I would actually like to put it 6 out of 10, and I have a valid reason for this. The film came out in 2006 and it just said above that X-Men Last Stand came out around that time too, so thinking of the special effects, the storyline. People, would prefer X-Men Last Stand, heck even I PREFER X-Men Last Stand to Zoom. BUT, Zoom actually has wonderful writing, comedy, action pack moments where children would enjoy this film. So, that being said I would give this a very watch-able 6 out of 10. 


So, What's The Bottom Line?


I would actually say my bottom line would be this week, is that if you like Tim Allen in general you should watch this film and see how he portrays a Super Hero. But, if you don't like simple special effects, you like complicated storyline and you want a lot of guns going off, this isn't the film for you. This to me, is a kids film worth watching because it's showing you don't need guns and rockets to show what makes a Super Hero and that's the bottom line.


Here is the trailer:

Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383060/

If You Want To Keep Up To Date With The Latest Blogs, Join Our Facebook Group, Just Click On The Link Below: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThatsTheBottomLine/

No comments:

Post a Comment